• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to convert all anchor points in a document to corner points?

Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to convert all the anchor points in my file to corner points. My file is something that I used Image Trace to create. The image was all angular and had no smooth corners or points. I know how to convert smooth anchors to corners, but I have hundreds of anchors to convert and I would like to be able to do this quickly. Thanks in advance!

Mac OS 10.14

Illustrator 2020

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Select All, then with Direct Selection Tool shift-click to deselect one anchor point. Click Convert selected anchor points to corner button. Direct select the previously deselected point and convert it.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Thank You!  This was driving me crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's hard to say how to change all the points together after tracing, but you can set the needed mode before it.

Go to Window > Image Trace and in Advanced section set Corners as 100%.
You can also tweak a bit Paths and Noise, but Corners is the main thing for your case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select All, then with Direct Selection Tool shift-click to deselect one anchor point. Click Convert selected anchor points to corner button. Direct select the previously deselected point and convert it.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very simple!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I tried the select all - deselect one - convert suggestion, but it didn't work.

My document is comprised of a doughnut shape, divided into 365 wedge sections. Each wedge has 4 corners (so 1460 corners) I'm trying to convert all the corners of the wedges to handle free corners. When I try the suggestion above with a group of the wedges, only one or two of the anchors convert.

I would like to try the script but don't know how to download it or what format to save the script in to run it from AI.

Thank you very much for any help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently, at least in some circumstances, an anchor point with one handle is recognized by Illustrator as a corner point,  so it cannot be converted to a corner point,  The solution appears to be to convert the points to smooth points, then to corner points. Again, select all the paths but deselect one point. Click convert to smooth points, then click convert to corner points. Select the unconverted point and repeat the process.

tromboniator_1-1619126223102.png

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This worked perfectly. Thank you so much for the explanation and solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank You!  This was driving me crazy!

I'm not a child; I don't need Badges, Stickers or Gold Stars, I need ANSWERS.
In IT they come to US for answers, WE MUST find them SOMEWHERE! That's YOUR job Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines