• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to Preview a Document without Bleeds?

Engaged ,
Mar 06, 2010 Mar 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document I created in Illustrator CS4 (Mac OSX 10.5.8) with 1/4 inch bleeds.It's a rather small document and the bleeds are very distracting (but I need them for final printing).

Is there a way to preview the document on my monitor without the bleeds? If so, how?

Thanks,

Lou

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lou,

You may create a (white or whatever suitable) Compound Path of two rectangles to cover the bleed, the smaller one corresponding to the artwork without it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jacob.

That's what I did and it worked fine. I just figured a mature product like Illustrator would a soft proof option to hide bleeds by default, without the need for this little work-around.

Lou

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be careful what you get started, Lou.

I just figured a mature product like Illustrator would a soft proof option to hide bleeds by default, without the need for this little work-around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

I'm a bull in a china shop—never one to shy away from stating my opinion!

Lou

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may become a stampede then, Lou.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not specify a bleed when creating a document. When you go to print or save as a pdf you can specify your bleeds in the tab called Printers Marks and Bleeds.

You can probably save this as printer preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Wade, but either I am missing something basic or you misunderstood what I am looking to do.

I tried setting the bleed to zero inches in Document Setup, but the document still shows the images and objects bleeding off the artboard. I don't really mind the bleed margin box showing—it's the non-printing artwork beyond the trim marks that I find distracting. I just want the artwork that extends beyond the artboard itself be hidden so I can preview the finished document without that extra stuff distracting me. I didn't see how setting the bleed to zero helped me achieve that. Like I said, maybe I missed something basic.

I have to extend my objects and images beyond the artboard, since this design requires a full bleed all around. I just want to hide the bleed area when previewing to see if I like the way it looks, or decide it needs changes.

Thanks,,

Lou

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2010 Mar 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean no there is no feature drawing a rectangle with a white stroke align to the outside of the rectangle path and the same size and position of the artboard is the only way I know and turning it on and off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2012 Jan 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd also love to see this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try this:

shift+alt+ctrl+s

which gives you the Save for Web preview and works well.

It's not what's needed though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a layer as a clipping mask is a workaround.

Described by Mordy Golding in 2008 here:

http://rwillustrator.blogspot.nl/2008/05/ask-mordy-preview-without-bleed.html

regards,

Ton

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you mean a preview to see what my artwork will look like when it comes back from the printers… why on earth would I want that?

Lordy lordy, the only reason there's no competition for Adobe is that they just gobble every good prospective newcomer in acquisitions. They just layer on more 'features' that they port form acquired products and that we just don't need, but fail miserably to support or fix issues that have been there since day one.

Also anyone at Adobe ever thought it might be a good idea to include a font manager in the Creative Suite bearing in mind the plethora of tools now shipping, from arse wiping utilities to new and totally irrellevent, WYSIWYG webdesign apps?

Next to the Sony mobile team this has to be the most misguided set of developers this side of the Universe. I really have sympathy for them because they're probably very talented, just unfortunately managed by baboons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2013 Jul 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well..

This post is from 2010 but, unfortunely, it seems very actual. It should already be possible to "preview" the artboard. Just like in "InDesign", you press "w" and voilá! Just with one quick shortcut your life is so much better. Come on, Adobe..

The old layer, mask clipping is just a workaround. And it takes time to do it. Not practical.

The save for web solution it's not a solution. When working with big artboards, it gets memory impossible.

It's just so strange Adobe applications not "sharing" best functionality between them. It looks like big inside competition.

Like in Acrobat.. why did they change the CTRL+0, Ctrl++ and Ctrl+- zoom solutions? Now, it get's very stressful to review PDF documents with the zoom solution different from all other applications!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Desirat, for feature requests go to this link, the more customers ask for a feature the higher the probability that it will be implemented.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ton

Already sent them what I think.

Your link is a Bookmark!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try this script for a possible workaround

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3895305#3895305

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works fine Carlos (also in the latest Mac CC version).

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom, thanks for checking, glad to hear it works in the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2013 Jul 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos

Thanks for the reply.

I've tryed both your scripts (Clipping and Preview) and they had this effects:

Preview:

Like in SaveForWebPreview it doesn't get to the finish line in big press sizes. Memory issues.

Artboard:

It worked perfectly! Adobe should offer you a one year license!

Just one thing, How do we know how much "Margin percentage" to choose?

Thanks a lot and congratulations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2013 Sep 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

in case someone finds it useful, I wrote a small script to create a "preview without bleeds" in Illustrator.

The script creates a Compound Path made of two rectangles for each artboard (inside a nonprinting layer on top) to cover the bleed.

You can download it from here:

http://www.formaestudio.com/scripts/previewWithoutBleeds.jsx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bleed line is a guide, so you can show or hide it along with other guides using the View > Guides > Hide/Show Guides menu item, or by pressing press ⌘; (Ctrl + ; on Windows).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2023 Sep 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you only want to preview, You can go to view and select presentation mode, it will show the document excluding bleeds, press escape when done viewing to go back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2023 Sep 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Or use Trim View

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines