• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to script "expand appearance"?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a method to create line art roof shingles row-by-row. I think something like this is a good candidate for scripting, but I run into a dead-end quickly when trying to script this. Basically, I use "expand appearance" multiple times during the course of this process and I can't find any way to script that action. I have heard about using MenuIDs, but I can't find anything on how to discover what the MenuID for "expand appearance" is.

Anyhow, here is the tutorial. If anyone can give me some pointers on how to script this process, I would be very thankful.

I have also tried recording an action, but "expand appearance" doesn't get saved.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 20, 2012 Mar 20, 2012

I used the Add Menu Item for mine and it works just fine. Unfortunately ExtendScript (Adobe's version of Java) does not provide support for the doScript call. You can use VB to do it on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guru ,
Mar 20, 2012 Mar 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't look at the video but script does NOT have access to expand appearance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any work-arounds?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried using Expand Appearance in an action and had no trouble with it even after a restart. How did you make the Action? What OS are you using? Looks like a Mac. If so you can use the doScript in an AppleScript to call the action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the recorder to record an action. The Expand Appearance step didn't record. I just now noticed you can add menu items to actions from the drop-down menu. Trying that. The next step is to add the tweak and roughen steps to the action.

I'm using Windows BTW and was going to script in javascript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the Add Menu Item for mine and it works just fine. Unfortunately ExtendScript (Adobe's version of Java) does not provide support for the doScript call. You can use VB to do it on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am actually fine with just using an Action. I have been able to get Expand Appearance to work using an Action and have created a style to do the tweak and roughen. Now I just need to work on the entire process. Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are my hero. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines