• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there is any tool in adobe illustrator which can switch place of the objects:

Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I like to know is there is any tool which can interchange position of two or multiple selected separate object. For example, I have two objects one is placed on left while the other is place in right position. Now I want two switch left object to right and right to left. I know I can manually do that but I want to know if there is any tool for this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Only as script solution.

Swap Objects by John Wundes

or similiar (untestet)

How to swap two objects? 

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

An additional answer that may help script-resistants, 180° rotation series

Here's a trick :

1) get object A and object B in a single selection, rotate together by 180° : they swap position but get upside-down

2) Now get object A and rotate 180°

3) Now get object B and rotate 180°

(if using shortcuts for rotation make this as simple as 5 clicks and 3 shortuts, can be made in 10sec)

Hope it may help 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only as script solution.

Swap Objects by John Wundes

or similiar (untestet)

How to swap two objects? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not into script. I hope this feature might implement if it is not present in the current version of Adobe Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script linked to by pixxxelschubser is really easy to use.

You can try if it does what you want by creating a text only document, copy the code from the web page, paste it in the text only file and save it on your desktop with the extension .jsx instead of .txt.

In illustrator select 2 objects and select the script using File menu > Scripts > Other Script...

If it works for you you can install the script for easier access:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/automation-scripts.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get it. Is not about the script is easy or not is just that I used tools which comes by the software by default unless I  required to work on script, plug-in or any other tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haziq,

I am afraid that there are too many possible different cases for a generalized solution, such as different widths (of Bounding Boxes); the easy one would be a pair of symmetric objects with the same width, which could be swopped by Object/Transform>Reflect (horizontally).

But I believe it is possible to use scripts or actions for repeated specific cases.

For a pair of objects where you wish to swop (the centres) in the horizontal direction, tou can move both by the (centre to centre) distance, then move the relevant one back twice by the same amount or once by the double amount.

Edit: Hi Hans-Jürgen, I was a bit delayed in answering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried Object:Transform:Reflect tool but it is reflecting the text also. Either way thank for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kurt Gold The reply missing from the front of your name. I am using Adobe Illustrator CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"but it is reflecting the text also"

Exactly, Haziq, text being non symmetric.

But I believe Kurt has a set of plans depending on version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Hans-Jürgen.

I had forgotten about swopObjects, which I have installed as one of many John Wundes scripts.

In this case I believe the applicability of swopObjects depends on the shape/size of the objects, and my believing that multiple solutions may be needed is the wording in the OP, "interchange position of two or multiple selected separate object" which I (mis)took to mean that there can be more than two objects, also again meaning that the intechanging can be in multiple ways, everything getting worse with the number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kurt_Gold I am using Adobe Illustrator CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do what you're asking using symbols. First, convert each object into a symbol (select the object, then go to the Symbol panel and click the New Symbol icon at the bottom of the panel, go to the panel menu and select New Symbol..., or press F8). If we used your example where there's an object on the left and an object on the right, click the left object that you turned into a symbol, go to the Symbol panel and click on the symbol that you want to use instead. With the symbol in the Symbol panel selected, go to the panel menu and select Replace Symbol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Myra Ferguson got it. Not the proper method which I am looking for but might be helpful. Thanks for the explanation 👍.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haziq,

For the simple case of just two objects, you can use the following silly but easy two step way, much better than moving back and forth:

1) Select both objects and Object>Transform>Rotate by 180 degrees,

2) Object>Transform>Transform Each>Rotate by 180 degrees.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob,

strange, but your 2 times transform method as well as the script here: How to swap two objects? are shifting the position of the objects a little

I made a copy of the 2 objects on a layer above a locked version and repeated the transforms a couple of times, the objects are shifting position down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh my god! you're genius! THANK YOU!

a bit of correction so people won't get confused:

1) Select both objects, GROUP, and Object>Transform>Rotate by 180 degrees,

2) UNGROUP Object>Transform>Transform Each>Rotate by 180 degrees.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange indeed, Ton.

Maybe another (im)precision bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

An additional answer that may help script-resistants, 180° rotation series

Here's a trick :

1) get object A and object B in a single selection, rotate together by 180° : they swap position but get upside-down

2) Now get object A and rotate 180°

3) Now get object B and rotate 180°

(if using shortcuts for rotation make this as simple as 5 clicks and 3 shortuts, can be made in 10sec)

Hope it may help 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines