Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Jagged Edges using Warp Tool

Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I have been trying to use the warp tool to ripple some type. But I want the type to still remain clean on the edges. When I do the effect, it seems to produce these uneven edges. I am not sure how to fix this. I played with the individual settings on the warp tool, but nothing produced a more smooth edge. What should I do? (I also tried using the wave/flag tool to produce a similar effect, but it didn't quite match what I wanted)

Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 5.14.26 PM.png

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Hi for this example I used the flag effect on a simple rectangle first (not directly on the type). Then I expanded the appearance of the distorted rectangle and used this as the envelope to distort the live type. This keeps the edges much nicer.

Flag Warp EffectFlag Warp EffectExpand AppearanceExpand AppearanceEnvelope Distort with Top ObjectEnvelope Distort with Top ObjectWorks with live typeWorks with live type

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it still look like this when you go into CPU preview?

Does it still look like this when you expand it?

Can you please show the mesh you used as well as the font?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, this was coming up when I exported it as a png, as well as it was showing up in the illustrator file. It looks the same when expanded, and the font is Balgin! Thanks for the response! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also havent used the mesh tool yet, just the warp tool. Should I use the mesh tool instead? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you apply a warp, you get a mesh as a result. Did you edit that mesh in any way? Can you upload that AI file to Dropbox or the like?

Is that a freefont?

Does it work better with other fonts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I figured it out, I really appreciate your support!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you could solve it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean a result like this?

Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-17 um 12.26.10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, yeah something like that. I wanted a bit more control over the warping of the type, so I was using the warp tool. But I know that you can do something similar with the wave/flag effects. What did you do here for this type? Do you think I should just stick to the mesh tool? Would that decrease the uneven edges on the type better? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi for this example I used the flag effect on a simple rectangle first (not directly on the type). Then I expanded the appearance of the distorted rectangle and used this as the envelope to distort the live type. This keeps the edges much nicer.

Flag Warp EffectFlag Warp EffectExpand AppearanceExpand AppearanceEnvelope Distort with Top ObjectEnvelope Distort with Top ObjectWorks with live typeWorks with live type

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my gosh this is so helpful. I didn't even think to do that. I really appreciate it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines