• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[JSX] removing a placedItem object that has no placed file

Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I'm running a routine to place a series of PDF files, some of which AI doesn't like for whatever reason. I'm trying to get remove the placedItem object I create if the file fails to place properly, but I get the attached screenshot error: 

Pasted File at January 31, 2022 11_02 PM.png

Here is the snippet of code:  

var placeFile = function(doc, file) { 
    var placedItem = doc.placedItems.add();
    try {
        placedItem.file = file;
    }
    catch(e) {
        placedItem.remove();
        return -1;
    }
}

Any thoughts? If I don't remove the item, and I try to open the resulting file, I get missing link errors. Thanks. 

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brian, I'm not at my computer now but I'd be happy to test. It would really help if you had a pdf example file that Illustrator doesn't like, so I could replicate your situation. Also, if you add $.writeln(placedItem); above placedItem.remove() in the catch block? Does the writeln error?

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm...your script works fine here. I'm on Windows 11, ai version 26.0.

are you on mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This dialog may be caused by some strange fact that maybe when the file is assigned a missing file, it produces a missing file 'procedure' right away, possibly blocking the catch(e) {} block (???).
So first, try to remove the user interaction level with app.userInteractionLevel = UserInteractionLevel.DONTDISPLAYALERTS;

But suppose that it still fails and does the problem. You can prevent the issue by checking that your file that is going to be added as a link does indeed exist in the first place with file.exists. This way if it does not exist, make no attempt to add a placed item at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect @Silly-V has nailed this one. @brianp311 does it solve the problem if you add the line

if (!file.exists()) return;

after the first line?

- Mark 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Waiting for client to get back to me with a bad place file. I can't re-create the problem either.  Will keep you all posted. Thanks for the food for thought thus far. But not sure that's the issue, since I'm getting the files from a Folder.getFiles() call. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, definitely is related to something with the path. From an error log: 

Thursday, February 03 2022 19:35:17: Could not place file: 763-HU3535-4215-52-100-25_Binding.pdf: Error: Unable to set placed item's file, is the file path provided valid? Or try to use the raster item instead.
Thursday, February 03 2022 19:35:18: Could not place file: 763-HU3535-4215-52-100-25_Front%20Short.pdf: Error: Unable to set placed item's file, is the file path provided valid? Or try to use the raster item instead.

I'm calling getFiles() on a PC path something like: 

var fol = Folder("H:/05 TopLevel/2021 Product/Illustrator Scripts/00_PDFS/Hot Folder)";
var allFiles = fol.getFiles("*.pdf");
for each allFiles, run script above.

Some files place, and some do not. For the ones that do not place and throw the above error, I try to remove the empty placedItem object I created but got the initial error. 

Very weird. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brian, are you able to successfully place, say, file "763-HU3535-4215-52-100-25_Front%20Short.pdf" manually?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can even place them programmatically, but I'm using Folder.selectDialog() to get the initial folder path, rather than hardcoding the path in. I can't recreate the issue the client is having. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm that's very hard to troubleshoot if you can't reproduce. Does it get the same error on the same files if you run script a second time on the client's machine? Wondering if it is something to do with the state of the hot folder when the script is triggered. Maybe running script again will not error, or will error on different files due to script triggering while some pdfs are only partially copied. I'm grasping at straws.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, really tricky case. Think the errors might be related to this new dialog client got (see attached screenshot). I still cannot re-create on my end. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you share the trouble pdf file? or does it have confidential info in it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will PM one to you and @m1b 

I also dug up this old thread at the PARM error: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/an-illustrator-error-occurred-1346458189-parm...

Doesn't seem like there's any rhyme or reason to it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines