• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lag when clicking and dragging objects in Illustrator (and InDesign) - Here's what I've tried:

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there —

A week ago, a few of my Adobe products began lagging when attempting a click-and-drag with the direct selection cursor. I noticed it first in Illustrator, but then noticed it in InDesign as well. I primarily use Illustrator in my day-to-day, so I'm posting here. After a fair amount of Googling, I discovered many people with the same problem over the past few years, all who had different solutions presented to them (to varying amounts of success). I've tried all sorts of things to resolve this issue, but nothing has worked. So I'm hoping to get some additional insight here. I'll outline the steps I've taken below:

The problem: 

Clicking on an object and trying to move it has a relatively huge delay on it. Trying to select multiple objects in quick succession also makes the cursor to "stick" causing some items to suddenly jump around. It happened suddenly and seemingly randomly one day after lunch. It's very frustrating when designing complex boards.

Version:

• Mac OS: Sonoma 14.1.1
  • Adobe Illustrator 28.0

The steps I've taken so far: 
First of all, Safe Mode works wonderfully, so I'm convinced it's something loading behind the scenes in normal mode. 

• Reinstalled/updated Illustrator
  • Removed cache and other files out of the \~Library folder
  • Tried earlier versions of Illustrator
  • Disabled GPU preview
  • Disabled GPU performance 
  • Updated my OS to Sonoma (it wasn't before)
  • Verified I have no 3rd party screensharing or mouse pointer software installed 
  • Activity monitor is clean 
  • Disconnected my bluetooth mouse (it still happens using the trackpad solo) 

I think that's it so far. I'll update with anything else that I try. Does anyone have any other suggestions here? I've been limping along in Safe Mode during my work day, but that's not ideal since I don't have access to my fonts, etc. there. 

Thanks so much in advance! 

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

The Solution (That Works for Most People)

If you use the Magnet app, this might be the source of your troubles. After quitting Magnet I no longer experience lagging behavior in InDesign and Illustrator. (Here is a related discussion.)

How to still use Magnet

You can keep Magnet running by "ignoring" Adobe. While Illustrator is in focus, click on the Magnet menu and select Ignore "Illustrator". The same goes for InDesign.

If you do not have Magnet

It may be another app that is conflicting with Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Following up on this. We finally discovered the cause of the issue. An update to the DLP software Proofpoint was causing the "sticky click" or "click delay" on our machines. Removing Proofpoint takes care of the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the solution! It was such an annoying issue that I couldn't ignore anymore and great catch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. I tried reinstalling MacBook and it was frustrating because I couldn't solve it no matter how hard I tried, but they solved it. Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You saved my life! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU for this insight - I've been banging my head against my desk for WEEKS trying to figure out this problem. I thought it started with my new - AND FASTER - SSD drive, but it's because I created a new user with new permissions and reinstalled Magnet. I am SO happy to have found this answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing. Thank you! I've been cursing Illustrator under my breath for months. This solved my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! This issue has been driving me nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boosting this. I have the same problem. Making Illustrator unusable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultzlpj4rcfom9v  schrieb:

Boosting this. I have the same problem. Making Illustrator unusable. 

Do you have the Magnet app installed? Did you read the thread until the end?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following up on this. We finally discovered the cause of the issue. An update to the DLP software Proofpoint was causing the "sticky click" or "click delay" on our machines. Removing Proofpoint takes care of the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the follow up. THis will certainly help others. I have marked the post about Magnet as correct as well, because it causes the same issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with the sticky / delayed click. Although not using "proofpoint" or "magnet".  Adobe, is there a fix for this yet? Thanks!

Details:

• Mac Pro 2017
  • macOS Ventura 13.6.1
  • Bluetooth apple trackpad

I've tried:

• Closing all apps
  • Turning on / off gpu performance
  • Restarting computer
  • Updating / downgrading illustrator versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try looking into the accessibility access in the system privacy settings. I managed to identify the app causing the issue there. (BenQ Display Pilot 2 in my case)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for that insight. This finally worked for me!

For others, I didn't have magnet installed or the other apps listed here. But I went to: Apple menu > System Setting > Privacy & Security, then clicked Accessibility on the right. From there I just toggled off a handful of other apps that had been running and viola, now illustrator works.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind I spoke too soon. It seemed to work for one session, now it's doing the same thing. Double checked all these same settings are still persisting and they are the same, yet Illustrator is now acting up again.

Hmm, does anyone have additional insight? I'd be very grateful, thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2024 Feb 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problems and i turn off the app Magnet, then i didnt have this issue any more!~ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow wow wow you save my mac i wanted to break it already

thanks a lotttt!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2024 Apr 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG!!! Months of being driven by this and fatmarker fixes it!!! Thank you! Magnet was my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines