Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Learn JS for Illustrator

Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I would like to learn how to use Javascript for Illustrator. What do you think would be the most appropriate training?
Thanks for your help !
TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

This document is an introduction to scripting (including JS) for AI that used to be available through adobe, but I can no longer find on the developer site:

https://ai-scripting.docsforadobe.dev/

After that, your best resource is the scripting reference, available in the downloads section of the developer site:

https://developer.adobe.com/

If you also need to learn non-Illustrator specific JS, there are numerous resources on the internet and I don't feel qualified to recommend any single one

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide , Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Do you know any JavaScript?  Before trying to manipulate the Illustrator-specific object model, you need to know the basics of JavaScript (variables, primitive vs. reference types, control statements, functions and objects, including arrays). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Hi. There are several foundational Javascript courses in Linkedin Learning, Udemy, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide , Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

A word of advice. JavaScript underwent a major revision in 2015 with version ES6. The version used in Illustrator scripting is ES3. All the new ES6 features will not work in Illustrator. If possible, find a pre-2015 source to learn from.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This document is an introduction to scripting (including JS) for AI that used to be available through adobe, but I can no longer find on the developer site:

https://ai-scripting.docsforadobe.dev/

After that, your best resource is the scripting reference, available in the downloads section of the developer site:

https://developer.adobe.com/

If you also need to learn non-Illustrator specific JS, there are numerous resources on the internet and I don't feel qualified to recommend any single one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your answer. My question was more about the specificity of the training. Front End - Back End. I have never done any code and I would like to be sure not to go in the wrong direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean by specificity? Any basic JS training will be helpful if you are starting from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know any JavaScript?  Before trying to manipulate the Illustrator-specific object model, you need to know the basics of JavaScript (variables, primitive vs. reference types, control statements, functions and objects, including arrays). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I've never done JavaScript.
I would like to train / learn (from the start).
In the end I don't want to make a website, I want to use it with illustrator. 
But you just gave me some starting points 😉 Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. There are several foundational Javascript courses in Linkedin Learning, Udemy, etc.

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I know this guy. This is exactly what I want to learn to do!
Thanks !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A word of advice. JavaScript underwent a major revision in 2015 with version ES6. The version used in Illustrator scripting is ES3. All the new ES6 features will not work in Illustrator. If possible, find a pre-2015 source to learn from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for the advice !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, Photoshop scripts do accept some ES6 features. And they encourage developers to use Spectrum in UXP.
There's' a roadmap for this kind of implementation in Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UXP is not available for Illustrator. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

UXP is not available for Illustrator yet, coming soon hopefully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines