• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Links are not linked and duplicated in AI after opening saved file

Engaged ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the following workflow: Create AI working file that has different layouts for the same item on separate artboards. Place that working file as a link into another AI file and probably some PSD files. The idea is to have one working file placed in multiple other files, and then just update the links in the other files when the original file changes. (Iterations of the same label must be in both an AI presentation file and a PSD file for each iteration It's a bit of a nesting challenge but works for me). 

So. Not sure exactly how to describe this problem. Often (but not always!) the following happens: an AI doc which has the placed images and working file is saved and closed. When I open that AI doc later, all the links are placed in the file multiple times, and they don't seem to be linked. The message I get when opening the file, and I get this for each link: "An error occurred trying to read the linked file <insert file name here>. Choose Replace to select another file or Ignore to leave the link unchanged." Similar to the message you get when you're missing a linked file. Note that I haven't changed the files or their location. 

What is the "error" with the files? They are all created with the current versions of PS, AI etc. 

To add insult to injury, I duplicated my problem file so I would have something to work with for solutions and the problem did not replicate. (so that's a good solution/workaround, but why?)

AI 26.5 on Mac OS 12.6.
(Not updating to the latest versions till the rest of my team updates.) 

Happy to share files or screen shots with someone privately, as it could be considered proprietary subject matter in the presentation, and I'm not comfortable posting to the world. 😉 

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @dDembicki,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. I understand you don't want to update as your team is still using Illustrator v26.5. Would you mind installing v27.0 separately while retaining v26.5 to check if the same behavior is replicable in the newer version or not? I am unable to reproduce following your workflow. Also, are your colleagues facing the same issue, or is it happening only on your machine?

However, If you are unable to update & check, would you mind packaging the file & zip compressing the folder and sharing the ZIP compressed file with me via DM? Also, would you mind sharing a screenshot of your system specification & confirming the saved location of the files & link (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)?

We are here to help. We just need more info.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if I actually saw your response, sorry about that. The issue is still happening 2 years later, lol. Illustrator v.28.1.0. MacBook Pro 2019 running OS 13.6.3. I uninstalled and reinstalled Illustrator, and restarted in between. 

The working file and the links are stored on my local SSD. Regarding whether or not my coworkers are having the same issue, I believe I'm the only one (probably because no one else uses the same workflow). I will package and send you files in a bit here. 

Currently I'm working with a file that is taking literally 10 minutes (maybe more!) to open, hence my search for a solution in the forums. And finding your response to my earlier post. I'm sure you can imagine how frustrating this is when working on a deadline. This particular file is taxing to my equipment. It's not responding, but I'm hanging in there hoping I won't have to restart AI again... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to PM Anshul, not sure if he's still an Adobe employee. Can someone who works for Adobe please let me know who to send the files to? @Anshul_Saini 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anshul has been active in the forum today. So hopefully he sees your post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Monika. The first person I found was either another Anshul Saini or his personal account (the avatar was different), which created my confusion. Then I just clicked on his name above and found him. Looking forward to the communities update I read about earlier... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @dDembicki,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your effort in trying to resolve the issue. I've noticed that the file you shared via the link is of zero bytes, and I'm unable to access any content. Could you please re-share the file, ensuring that it contains the necessary data to investigate the problem?

Additionally, if possible, could you create a screen recording that demonstrates the issue? This would help me better understand the problem and provide more targeted assistance.

I apologize for the inconvenience you're experiencing, and I'm here to help resolve this issue. Looking forward to receiving the updated file and any additional information you can provide.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd the zero bytes thing. Will make the screen recording and resend all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GRRR!! It is not doing it today. I open the file, delete the duplicates, then save and close the file. Open the file again, and it is not duplicating the links. So it must be some combination of apps or something on my machine. It is 6 years old. I tried doing a screen recording but apparently I didn't do it right. It's almost 6pm here. I'm going to call it a day. 

Is there some kind of log file I can make? I did share a crash report yesterday. 

I will try again tomorrow. For now things seem to be working the way they should be. (I am not crazy, haha!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I've seen similar things happening to several people using Illustrator 2023 and 2024. Many of them are also using the Monotype desktop app - are you using that also? Did you find a solution to this (aside from only having one file open at a time)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am using the Monotype Desktop App, often at the beginning of a project. Well, that stinks. MT is not going away. Will have to pay more attention when I have it running. Generally I can't reproduce it, it seems random. Never thought it could be a conflicting app, thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'v ebeen having the same issue for the past two years. Others I work with as well. We are all using Monotype app. Happens even if no fonts are activated through the Monotype app. Really frustrating. Time consuming. Any fixes yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No fixes yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @dDembicki,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. Would you mind confirming the currently installed version of Illustrator, re-uploading the sample file to Dropbox/Google Drive/etc., sharing a link here, and a screen recording of the problem (https://adobe.ly/3xAdhZq) so we can investigate this further?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 08, 2024 Apr 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

The version of Illustrator I have is 28.4.1 Mac OS 14.4 (Sonoma), running on an MBP M3Max with 64GB RAM. I've updated AI and OS since my original post, and the company upgraded my computer. (yay!) But the problem still exists with the latest version of Illustrator, just doesn't take as long to fix with the new machine. So far, I noticed that if I only have one file open at a time I don't get the error. It has been suggested in this thread that this is a known onflict with the Monotype Desktop App. So would it be an Adobe issue or a Monotype issue? Should I also report this to Monotype?  

I prefer to upload a screen recording to a non-public place. They are live files and I cannot share their contents with the public. I sent screen recordings to Anshul Saini (via PM) towards the end of January (albeit with an older version of AI and from the old computer which was an Intel MBP). I am happy to send them to you, I just don't want to attach them to this public thread.

Please advise next steps, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now here is something: Opening a second file creates the linked file errors. Opening a third and fourth file seems not to produce the linked file errors. I'm working on related projects and need to have them all open, knowing that I would have some work to do to weed out the extra placements an relink. But when I opened #3 and #4, I didn't get the errors. What a relief! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed the Monotype desktop app for Mac and it immediately resolved the issue. However, this upsets me because I love and need their app. Adobe, please fix this issue! This is unacceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 19, 2024 Apr 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi All,

Thank you for sharing your experiences and insights regarding the issues you've encountered with linked files and the Monotype desktop app. We understand the frustration this has caused and apologize for any inconvenience.

Our team has been actively working on enhancements to address such issues, and we appreciate your patience and understanding. In the meantime, we recommend trying out the beta version of Illustrator 28.5, which includes some improvements related to relinking. You can access the beta version through the Creative Cloud Desktop app in the beta section.

Anshul_Saini_0-1713562255221.png

Additionally, we encourage you to check if you're facing similar issues in other Adobe apps like Photoshop or InDesign. This will help us determine if the problem is specific to Illustrator or if it's related to the Monotype desktop app across the Adobe suite.

Thank you for your cooperation and feedback as we work towards resolving these issues. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines