• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Logo Question

Engaged ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am making a logo for my web design company and the name is written as one word--let's say "FancyBox" in which both "Fancy" and "Box" would be written with an uppercase  letter and "Box" would be blue versus the dark gray of "Fancy" (or vice versa).

My question is that would you, as a logo designer, add a bit of space between the "y" of "Fancy" and the "B" of "Box" as a rule? Or would you simply leave as it is spaced by the font using optical kerning (I don't do manual kerning)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would not be giving you good advice If I answered this question, without seeing what font you used or what hue or luminosity of the colors you mentioned.

Can you post a sample screenshot.

You might enjoy reading hits article.

Using Type in Logo Designs | Create

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware of this "Adobe Create Magazine."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome. Notice that epic FedEx logo which has no space. So you see there really is no sense in trying to advise you without seeing where you are at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and the "F" and "e" and "e" and "d" (to a lesser extent) even overlap. I love the negative space arrow formed by the "e" and "x."

I made the mistake of paying for a cheap logo on one of those open competition websites and got something I'm not going to use. I am not a graphic artist but I know enough about graphic design to know a good logo when I see it. So I am piecing together a logo myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speaking of fonts in logos, would you happen to know why Helvetica is not available for syncing in TypeKit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Probably a rights issue. Helvetica is owned by someone else has changed hands many times. I think Monotype has it now, and they do not seem to be very active.

You likely know more about fonts syncing on typekit that me, but I believe that only works if you buy the font from typekit. Last I looked you could not upload a font you own to that. Wow they added my favorite foundry Sudtipos, and many others, were only 4 last time I looked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is really no way to answer definitively. It depends on what the actual characters are, the font, the size, the weight, and the adjacent-interaction of (the shapes of) those characters (and the shape of the negative space their presence constitutes). It may look better with space added or better with some taken away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you check the logo in different sizes like when it's big how it will show and when it's small too? try to check the logo colors in different backgrounds light and dark, black and white, dark image and light image then you will see is it good to go or not.

My advice is to use the upper case which is good to use and readable always but It's depending on the font size and style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines