• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looking to divide a circle into multiple geometric shapes but when I select divide there's an issue

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator file showing the issue can be downloaded here. I've also attached a couple of screengrabs.

The path of the circle and line interact perfectly on the initial drawing but when I select divide (and even with no stroke selected!) a small triangle is formed on the outside of the circle. Note that this triangle can only be viewed when zooming in to 6400%.

Has anybody experienced this before or know a work around? Thanks.

1 of 3.png

1 of 3.png

2 of 3.png

2 of 3.png

3 of 3.png

3 of 3.png

[ attachments inserted as inline image by moderator ]

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me move this to the Illustrator forum for you, which is the appropriate forum for your question.

The Using the Community forum is for help in using the Adobe Support Community forums, not for help with specific programs. Product questions should be posted in the associated product community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can see, it's a usual behavior of the circle (actually, any smooth line) when shape's changing by Pathfinder interaction (any, not only Divide). 

So, the workaround depends on what you need here. 

If you need just some triangle sectors, without outer rounded shapes, create and adjust all the needed straight lines and then delete the circle. Then you can select all and divide, straight lines don't have these approximate issues.

If you need also the outer rounded shapes, start with the circle and diameters, select them all, and divide. The shape will change a bit (something around 0,05 px), but no triangles will be created since the change will put along 1 line at a point.

Then create other dividings, but! one dividing at a time to avoid the appearance of the new triangles due to lines intersections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What should the desired result look like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the precision in Pathfinder options (I don't know if it recognizes it at this small or rounds up but I put in 0.001 pt), and after applying, change mitre limit to 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Met1 

a very good point. I did it years ago. This is why the sample file from @ashj78427475 worked as expected for me.

The same excerpt from your sample file.

pathfinder_options_precision_0001pt_00.png

pathfinder_options_precision_0001pt_01.png

pathfinder_options_precision_0001pt_02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines