• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

magic wand to select text/type

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like I used to be able to use the magic wand tool to select text of similar styling etc. However this doesn't seem to work for me anymore. I do have the magic wand window open and I've tried choosing between fill color stroke color etc but whenever I click on any text with magic wand, it only selects the one instance I clicked.

Am I doing something wrong or did they remove this feature?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

I agree that it is tiresome that the Magic Wand cannot select multiple pieces of text, but Adobe has not implemented that feature. It would be even better if users were able to specify which font, size, and so forth, should be selected.

However, as it stands the Magic Wand functions have not changed. I tested it in both Illustrator CC and CS6, and the Magic Wand only selected one piece of text.

I suppose it would be possible to script this function, but why do that when all text objects can be sel

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi in tool is still there in Adobe Illustrator try to reset your program settings hope that will help...Thanks.

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's been no change to the Magic Wand.

You can select all text objects by choosing it from the Select > Object > All Text Objects menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you still face any issue try to update it hopefully it solves the issue....Thanks.

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like you are not understanding the problem

Yes I can use magic wand on text or a text box etc. But it will only select that single instance which defeats the point of the MWT. If it was by design to select  a single instance, why wouldn't I just use arrow tool.

In the past, I can recall that if I had several text objects that all had the same, font size color etc, they woudl all be selected with magic wand.

In this example I create a dummy document and some sample text

This demonstrates for example that there are 3 text objects with different font stylings.

A header

A body

And some blurb at the bottom

In the past if I would magic wand a heading, it would do all of them.

Magic wand only selects a single instance - YouTube

Select all text objects is not at all helpful as it literally selects all text indiscriminately

Sure in this example I can control click all of the headers to make multiple selections but my real document they are not all organized as plainly as in this example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree that it is tiresome that the Magic Wand cannot select multiple pieces of text, but Adobe has not implemented that feature. It would be even better if users were able to specify which font, size, and so forth, should be selected.

However, as it stands the Magic Wand functions have not changed. I tested it in both Illustrator CC and CS6, and the Magic Wand only selected one piece of text.

I suppose it would be possible to script this function, but why do that when all text objects can be selected under the Select > Object menu.

You could create a custom keyboard shortcut to speed up the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines