• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make a clipping mask 'permanent': actually crop, not just conceal

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a group of paths which make up a logo.  I've got an image I made where this logo is part of the background, but it hangs off the edge of the artboard (only half of it is meant to be visible).  In order for exports to actually be sized to the artboard, and because I couldn't find a way to crop the group of paths to fit the artboard, I've had to add a clipping mask.

Is there a way I can use the clipping mask to make the crop "permanent", and actually remove the parts of the paths that are outside the artboard, so that I can just remove the mask from the layers?  Or is there some other method to actually crop this object to the artboard?

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just vector artwork? No pixels included?

Then you can try and expand all effects.

Expand all strokes.

Apply the pathfinder Crop to your clipping mask.

You might want to do some cleaning up, like searching for invisible elements and deleting them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share at least one sample Illustrator file? Also, please tell about what export formats you are talking.

More often than not a combination of different approaches is required to get clean results, possibly retaining the original attributes of the trimmed objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not certain I know everything about your needs, but it sounds like you simply want to eliminate "paths" that are outside another path, so maybe it's as simple as Pathfinder > Crop...

JohnMensinger_2-1677182015623.png

JohnMensinger_4-1677182067408.png

Or, there's the Shape Bulder tool...

JohnMensinger_5-1677182465616.png

JohnMensinger_6-1677182507745.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending how complex the object is the solution that always works for me is rasterizing the vector image then tracing the image at 300 dpi so keep the clipping mask on rasterize, expand and enjoy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Ryan220179380iqd  schrieb:

Depending how complex the object is the solution that always works for me is rasterizing the vector image then tracing the image at 300 dpi so keep the clipping mask on rasterize, expand and enjoy

... and then lose all precision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines