• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

missing toolbar palette in illustrator CS5.5

Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2011 Nov 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed CS5.5 onto my mac and all of my programs work except for illustrator.  Every time i open it up the toolbar on the left hand side is missing. Anyone know how i can get it back so i can access those tools?

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 30, 2011 Nov 30, 2011

Menu: Window>Tools

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Menu: Window>Tools

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2014 Dec 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKYOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my drop down menu under window doesn't have that option there is only application bar, application frame, and control. I have cs5.5 not 4 i know that tools was on option on the other version but the newsest version was changed and that is no longer there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can happen in a couple of ways, one you were holding down the command and shift key when launching Illustrator that will definitely do this.

Two you either move the application out side of the Illustrator folder or you accidentally copied the application when trying to make an alias of the application's icon in a different location like the deskto.

The accident is common and it is manifested by holding only the option key down when dragging the icon to the new location when it requires that you hold the Command and option key.

Holding the option key makes a duplicate and that has the same effect if you try launching Illustrator from the application once removed from the Illustrator folder.

What you if you accidentally made a copy instead of an alias is to trash that copy and make a real one. If you simply move the application outside of the folder then you have to move it back to the folder. the folder should be in the default location if you are smart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the suggestions but i know i wasn't holding any keys down such as shift or option or command when i was launching and installing the program and i took my computer into my college computer repair store and the guy there deleted all of the duplicates/aliases that i had made from before so i know thats not that problem.

i tried holding the command and option key when i dragged the icon to the new location and still no success.

do you know if there is anything else i can try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2011 Dec 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then probably the application is not in the folder you are launching the application from outside the Ilustrator folder.

But that is how this happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW how are you launching Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2013 Oct 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happened to me with CS5 on my MAC, no Window>Tools option from the first time it was installed - still haven't been able to fix it so haven't used Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christina,

It may be worth following this sister thread too:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/931600?tstart=0

On of the suggestions there is to  Move the folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2012 Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. It drove me crazy. All of the threads seem to reference one of two things as the culprit: 1. Holding down a key while launching or closing the application and 2. Launching the application from OUTSIDE of the Illustrator folder.

I remembered moving the app out onto my desktop to make it easier to launch. I went to the applications folder on my mac, and dragged the application into the Illustror folder. Then when I launched it from there, it gave me a warning that the path had moved, which I confirmed by clicking "update" and when the application launched, Voila! There was my toolbar pallette!

Thanks to everyone for their collective help. I hope this helps someone else get to a solution quicker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2013 Oct 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gina - I just tried your 'fix' and it worked - I am so grateful, it's been two years since I bought my CS5 suite and though I use In-Design and Photoshop I have never been able to use Illustrator because of the missing Tool Bar.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2013 Nov 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Gina! You made me find my way out of this problem.

I opened up Illustrator, after using it for 1 year without problems, and found my tools on the lefthandside missing. I am sure I didn't do anything with any part of the Illustrator progam in that year, still it was gone. What I did was:

I made an alias of the program to my desktop, opened Illustrator with that alias ans YES!, the tools were back in place. Wonderful!

Then I closed down Illustrator again and opened in from the usual place: the dock, and it opened with tools and all.

After closing Illustrator I hrew the alias away just to make sure and reopened Illustrator from the dock: no problems.

Thanks again for the right tip for this annoying problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2015 Jan 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I had the same problem (if I understood your problem right). My tool bar is visible, but the tools inside it disappeared. I closed the software and then opened another AI file that I remember that I used the tools with. And it when it opened, the tools were back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2015 Feb 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Illustrator CS5.5 has no tool bar  (none under Window either. This is from installing it for first time …it did say plugins missing 8 of them,  i have followed and tried everything suggested here… no success. i have also tried resetting preferences (well deleting them then going through the preference folder again no success. could it just be a faulty disc from Adobe? Everything else downloaded fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 07, 2016 Sep 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2016 Oct 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have missed if someone else mentioned this already, but have you tried going through Window>Workspace? At the bottom of this menu is a command "Reset ____" (it changes depending on which layout you have chosen, I believe the default it "Essentials") clicking this should reset all of your toolbars to their original positions as well as bring back any parts that may have disappeared. This function is also useful if there is a tool you frequently use that is not open by default, or a layout you prefer, you can create your own workspace. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

easiest and fastest way to restore your missing toolbar :

go to windows>workspace>reset essentials

now it should reappear!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have cs 5.5 and there is no option for reset essentials. What else can I try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schupbach  wrote

I have cs 5.5 and there is no option for reset essentials. What else can I try?

You have to be in a workspace before you can reset it.

Either:

1. Reset the Workspace you are currently in

OR

2. Switch to the Essentials Workspace, then reset it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. CS 5.5 does not give me the option in the manually reset. I have selected essential several times and no luck. Even restarted my computer.

See screen shot. There is no reset in cs 5.5Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 4.32.24 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you clarify what you mean by being 'in a workspace before you can reset it.'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Window .> Workspace > Essential

which just needs selecting.

if its not there you may need to reset preferences

How to set preferences in Illustrator

Are you sure the toolbar isn't  there but almost hidden off screen and just needs  dragging  back in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tool bar is fully visible. I can't access any of the tool options in my tool bar. Annoying. Should I re-install my creative suite? I have worked in CS 5.5 for over five years. Never had this problem.

See scree shot.Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 4.32.54 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So your toolbar is not missing but unresponsive ?

Maybe try reset preferences back to default  before re-installing

How to set preferences in Illustrator

Reset all preferences to default settings

Resetting preferences can be helpful if you are having problems with the application.

Do one of the following:

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Illustrator. Your current settings are deleted.

Remove or rename the AIPrefs file (Windows) or Adobe Illustrator Prefs file (Mac OS). New preferences files are created the next time you start Illustrator.

note: It is safe to remove the entire Adobe Illustrator CS5 Settings folder. This folder contains various preferences that can be regenerated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines