• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving objects a specific distance and angle?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating brand guidelines for a client who will be then sharing it with a lot of different designers and departments to use as their brand bible. An integral part of the design concept is adding (very fake 80's style) 'shadows' to objects and text.. etc - see example image below.

Is there a way to move objects a certain distance /angle/percentage from their original location (i.e not by just altering the X/Y Value in relation to the artboard)? Somehow just inputting a couple of numbers/percentages to move the items?

I want to make it super easy for designers to create these shadows, but at the same time making sure they are always consistent in distance and angle regardless of whether the object is on a huge poster or a tiny web-banner. Does such a tool/option exist in AI?

Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 07.54.58.png

 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

You can make a graphic style that uses the Transform effect to move a copy of the object's fill, but it will always be a pixel amount rather than a percentage, so would probably need to be adjusted for documents on different scales:

Screenshot 2021-11-09 131310.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can make a graphic style that uses the Transform effect to move a copy of the object's fill, but it will always be a pixel amount rather than a percentage, so would probably need to be adjusted for documents on different scales:

Screenshot 2021-11-09 131310.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great suggestion, thanks a lot Doug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may also just use the common Drop Shadow effect in the Effect menu with a Blur setting of 0 (zero) and make sure that the "Scale Strokes and Effects" setting (see Transform palette flyout menu) is turned on in case you are going to scale the objects.

This way you can dodge Doug's absolute settings (no offense, Doug, I'm just kidding).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were right to step in Kurt, I shouldn't have dealt in absolutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 25, 2021 Dec 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Helpful as the given answers may be for the current version of Illustrator, which I have recently acquired after using CS 2 for many years, I pull my hair out at how cumbersome the program has become. It used to be easy and intuitive. Anymore the tools are buried somewhere, and the operations take more time and headache to accomplish. And they changed the meaning of negative numbers (now up instead of the intuitive down). I'm not really sorry to vent here because it is at least possible that Adobe's engineers will listen and change things back to simplicity (= ease and speed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please post bugs & feature requests to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines