Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My Live Paint tool in Illustrator is only coloring the outlines of my drawing

Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there:

I would like to know what to do to get my line art to be filled inside with the Live Paint tool in Illustrator. I have created some artwork from a sketch that I did on a sketchpad which I later uploaded and edited on my iPad. They are all separate objects. But since the version of Illustrator on iPad does not currently have a Live Paint feature, I have to use it on my PC.

The problem is that Live Paint is just changing the color of my stroke (what is supposed to be a stroke), and is not painting inside of my shapes. How do I get the line art to be treated by Illustrator as strokes and the inside of my shapes as fills so that I can use the Live Paint tool?

Please let me know, and if you have an idea about how to color inside line art in Illustrator on the iPad, let me know this, too!

Thanks so much!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see any strokes. I see black lines that look like strokes, but are probably outlines.

I don't see a Live Paint Group either.

Did you Select All and choose Object > Live Paint > Make before trying the Live Paint bucket?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's right, these are not considered as strokes but as fills. I uploaded this sketch to the iPad Pro. It is the first time that I had been using it for this, so I am not sure if I had done it right. Perhaps Illustrator on the computer will be better for this kind of thing? Would it make the outlines be strokes or also make them fills as well? Basically all I would like to do is color the inside of the shapes, but right now there is no "fill" for the inside, just the outlines. Please let me know how to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The desktop Illustrator lets you fill filled and unfilled areas in a Live Paint Group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send an AI file so we can check it out? you need to create live paint double click on the live paint bucket to indicate that you are colrizing the fill. This look like you have no fill and thedark lines are actually the fill. 

Chana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the outlines are considered as fills not strokes. What I basically want, and I had also asked this of Ton Frederiks, is just to color the inside of them. Right now the inside is a transparent part of the overall shape. I want to keep the outlines as they are, and just be able to color the inside of the shapes, however there is no way right now to do this via the live paint tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select all of the objects.

Select the Live Paint tool, choose a color, and fill the areas with the color you want.

The areas that look like strokes are not actually strokes; they are filled shapes. As Ton said, you don't have any strokes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I was wondering if I was able to make these outlines to be strokes instead of fills, and be able to color the inside of the shapes. But the insides right now are transparent and really don't exist to be able to be filled with the live paint tool. Perhaps you know how to keep the outlines as they are and be able to color the inside areas themselves. I need to be able to choose different colors for things like the flower petals (for example, two types of pink). Do you know how to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't matter that the inside shapes are "transparent", by which I assume that you mean they are empty with no fill. As long as the areas appear to be closed shapes the Live Paint tool can fill them.

As an examle, I image traced part of the design and selected all of the shapes with the black Selection tool..

image.png

I selected the Live Paint tool and selected green as the fill color. Then clicked in the area to fill.

image.png

If your Live Paint tool is not working correctly, try double-clicking on the Live Paint tool in the Tools panel to open the Live Paint Bucket Options panel. Make sure that Paint Fills is checked.

image.png

If the settings are correct and you're still not able to fill areas, try resetting preferences. (Preferences > General, and click Reset Preferences button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a bit of a different result using live paint. I did not use image tracing for myself, so perhaps that is the reason? For me, it still colors the outlines, and then I was able to color the fill area by clicking inside the shapes, but now it is using different shades of grey instead of the colors that I chose. Is there a setting or something that I need to change in order to use the colors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can navigate throught the colors in your Live Paint Fill can by using the left right and up down arrow keys. You are actually navigating through the colors in your swatches panel, so make sure it contains colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally did it ... it kept showing me grey scale in the colors setting, so I tried to use the colors in the swatches panel instead and now it is working great.

Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear it worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, finally! Thanks again to you and to everyone else who answered me.

Have a great day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a screenshot to show you of this here.Screenshot (54)_LI.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this indepth resource. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines