• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to create transparent space within vector image

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to turn all of the white objects into a transparent (negative?) space for a t-shirt vector, but the blue flag is a bulk background that is creating the outline for the white images so I can't just delete them.  Is there a way to cut through the blue background in the shape of the white image? Like cut right through it so there aren't overlapping pieces, turning the white shapes into negative space/transparent areas?  Sorry, new to illustrator and can't find a tutorial for this. Really appreciate the help!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

You probably don’t need to do anything. If you want the white part of the graphic to not print then it won’t already. White just means don’t put ink here.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably don’t need to do anything. If you want the white part of the graphic to not print then it won’t already. White just means don’t put ink here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case of doubt simply talk to the facility doing the print. all they want is clean separations for their screen printing/ foil transfers, which technically means they mostly care about your paths being consistently filled and grouped. Genuine transparency is only needed if your white were to indicate an extra underprint, but that doesn't appear to be what you want here.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brandi,

Presuming the blue bakground is vector artwork, you can do it as follows, if a mask is a viable way:

1) Group the white paths if not already, you can select one and the use Select>Same>Fill Color to select them all;

2) ShiftClick the blue background to also select that;

3) In the Transparency panel click Make (Opacity) Mask with Invert Mask ticked.

Presuming both the white paths and the blue background are vector artwork, you can do it as follows to get actual blue paths:

1) Group the white paths if not already, you can select one and the use Select>Same>Fill Color to select them all;

2) ShiftClick the blue background to also select that;

3) Pathfinder>Minus front/Subtract from shape area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this image to be printed on a white background? If so then I agree with Scott and Mylenium. If you need it transparent to print on a colored T-shirt then try Jacob's suggestions. However, if this image has been created via Image Trace (which results in many confusing to work with compound paths and masks) then the paths may not be able to be easily manipulated via Jacob's suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Brandi254511860afh,

Thanks for reaching out. As mentioned by Scott and Mylenium you might not need to remove the white background. But if you still do, kindly try the steps shared in this tutorial and check if it helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbRLermLRcI

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work in Pre-Press creating film positives for silk-screening. 

Everyone who said "check with the print house, you might not need to do anything" is correct - In our workflow, I don't have any problem with the white shown in the sample screenshot. As long as the blue and the orange/gold are set up as separate spot colors, I can trap and output film separations from what's there with no effort on your part.

If you are determined to remove all the negative white space because you want to do a mockup on a colored background, or just because you like to learn new technqiues then Jacob's second option of paths and minus front should work. Usually I need to select all the the separate paths and then combine them into a compound path (Path, Compound Path, Make) - grouping often causes unexpected results.

The masking option as described below will look good on screen but would create extra work for our workflow, in that it can't be easily trapped (one color needs to be made a little larger than the other so it covers any misregistration on press).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all so very much for your suggestions!  I really appreciate the help.  Reached out to the company and you all were right, the white was just fine.  I will practice with the other suggested methods for future projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines