• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not able to open CS2 file in Illustrator CC version

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can a file create 15 years ago in Illustrator CS2 be opened in Illustrator CC today? 

(Moving to the Illustrator forum from get started)

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I don't work with Illustrator at all I don't see why you would have a problem.

At the worst the new version of Illustrator might want to Upgrade the files to one that would work better with the newer version. Like MS did with Word and excel files. 

The only problem with that is if you were going to Share that file with someone that was running the very old version of the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably. You may need fonts or links that might have been used with the original file. Save it to a new name as .ai or .pdf. The document raster effects settings might be 72 ppi, you should change it to 300. In the unlikely event it won't open, or fonts & Links are missing, try opening it Acrobat (to salvage it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I continue to get "The file is in an unknown format and cannot be opened" with every variation I try. I can add the .jpg extension to it and it will open a tiny thumbnail of what it is. Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. I'm opening those old files all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the original extension on the file? If .eps, it might be from Photoshop.

If you open it in Acrobat and go to File> Properties> Description, it might show the original software that created it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was originally Illustrator document. Changing the extension to eps gives me the same error as well as trying the open in acrobat. It's a possiblity it got damaged somehow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried making a new document and then File>Place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. As others mentioned earlier, CS2 file should have no issues while opening in CC version.
Is it possible to share the file? If yes, please upload it to the cloud and share the link with us.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You for the replies everyone. I tried everyone's ideas with no sucess. I was able to recreate pretty close to the original from the small thumbnail I created. Thank you agian. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2024 Jan 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris. I've had the same issue. I managed to work around it by simply adding the file extension .eps to the end of the file while in the finder, then it opens just fine.

—JR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is 4 years old - let's hope the problem is solved by now.

Apart from that you can perfectly open CS2 files in newer versions, no voodoo needed. And certainly no EPS voodoo. And btw: the thread opener already wrote that the EPS voodoo didn't help them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've opened Illustrator AI files made 30 years ago successfully in Illustrator CC. As long as the files aren't corrupted they should open just fine (with the exception of live type set in obsolete font formats). Illustrator is better at opening really old files than rival vector graphics applications such as CorelDRAW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines