• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not understanding Fill or Live Paint

New Here ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm trying to Fill in the space between the object and the box (if you look carfully, both "tails" don't lead to each other, should be a cool effect.) But nothing I do seems to fill things like I expect.

It might be that I just don't understand Illustrator enough, but would you have any clues as to what I'm doing wrong?Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 10.31.38 AM.png

TOPICS
How-to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Not shure. But may be you are in "Outline Mode"? Please check it in View Menu and turn on "Preview on GPU"... or Ctrl+Y

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you do?

If you want us to try that out, please provide the file. You can change the file extension to PDF and then you can upload it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I select the section I want to fill, then choose a fill, nothing happens. Really not sure what I'm doing here! I think my Photoshop brain is messing me up. (Though I'm really an audio guy!)

Here's the file attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you've already made it a live paint group, select the live paint tool and choose the [None] swatch, then click on the inner shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I do that, and click where I have the Live Paint Bucket cursor in the below image, nothing happens. Except the lines go thicker and red when I hover anywhere inside the square.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eight. You hover over it. The area that is going to be filled gets highlighted. You choose a color with the arrow keys and then you click.

There is an issue with your drawing. That is not just one path, but 2. You have outlined the path, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There were 3 paths I guess? Two spirals that were then connected at their tips, and then the square around them. How do I make them one? Is that what you mean by outline them? Is it just that my anchors aren't joined?

Is there a simpler way of doing this without the Live Paint Bucket? Was hoping to just make my shapes then fill them with a regular paintbucket. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was a step too much you did.

You can just delete one two of those paths. Select it them the direct selection tool and then delete.

Bildschirmfoto 2024-05-02 um 19.48.46.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh no idea how I made double lines like that. But now I've deleted all but one but the Live Paint Bucket still won't fill the spaces. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I did immediately after opening your file:

1. Select live paint tool

2. Select 'None' for the fill

3. Click in this shape:

DougARoberts_0-1714680423139.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a simpler way of doing this without the Live Paint Bucket? Was hoping to just make my shapes then fill them with a regular paintbucket. 

By @Normand319327158ln0

There is no 'regular paintbucket'.

Live paint is not required for this, but it's simpler to tell you how to use live paint than deconstruct your shapes.

If you want an inner and an outer shape, you create one then the other, select both and create a compound path (Ctrl + 8). Then apply a fill as normal:

DougARoberts_0-1714680622037.png

If this still isn't making sense, I suggest reading this:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/illustrator/using/painting-fills-strokes.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly I don't understand enough context to work with Illustrator properly and need to get back to basics. Will read that and some other basic. Thanks so much for your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, turns out I was in Outline Mode as Ares suggested further down. I definitely need more basic understanding.
Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no need for live paint here -- it should be a single closed shape if created correctly:

DougARoberts_0-1714661903861.png

What happens when you give it a fill?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the outcome I want except the reverse, with the colour filling until the surrouding box, and the section you made red still white.
When I select it all then try to choose a Fill colour, nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not shure. But may be you are in "Outline Mode"? Please check it in View Menu and turn on "Preview on GPU"... or Ctrl+Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy hotkeys! That was it, I was in Outline mode.

Big thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines