• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Offset Not Working

New Here ,
May 20, 2018 May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Im trying to draw a rainbow in illustrator. I'm following the steps exactly as is shown in this tutorial: How To Draw A Simple Rainbow In Adobe Illustrator - YouTube

However, whenever I create a new offset path, a new Path is created. However, it is invisible. Screenshot attached.

I've tried increasing the stroke, etc but the new path is nowhere to be found. Please help!

Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 12.01.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-05-20 at 12.07.46 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Alex,

As I said you have a (far too) large Offset value, which gives you the giant circle as the offset path, and as Carlos said you have probably used inches instead of pixels, and as Monika said pixels are used as the unit in the video, implying that you should too.

Most likely, you have set the document unit to inches instead of pixels (pixels being identical to points as units go, by the way), and here is the strange thing: you must have followed the instructions for the original circle and us

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex,

Judging by the screenshot, it looks like an Offset Path with a large (positive) value so the new path is simply outside the part of the Artboard/Workspace shown (with only the original shown). What happens if you Zoom out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha! Looks like a giant circle was made outside the artboard. How in the world do I fix this, and why did this happen?

Thank you so much Jacob!Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 3.28.14 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you use inches instead of pixels!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sorry Carlos - I'm a complete newbie to AI. Could you clarify what you mean and how to fix it? Not sure what to do 😮

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The presenter in that video works in pixels.

Is your document set up in pixels as well?

How to use rulers, grids, and guides in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the problem is:

When you selecting first circle and creating first offset - do not select initial circle for second offset. Repeat "Offset Path" periodically; If you select initial circle you will have second offset at the same place. See picture 

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex,

As I said you have a (far too) large Offset value, which gives you the giant circle as the offset path, and as Carlos said you have probably used inches instead of pixels, and as Monika said pixels are used as the unit in the video, implying that you should too.

Most likely, you have set the document unit to inches instead of pixels (pixels being identical to points as units go, by the way), and here is the strange thing: you must have followed the instructions for the original circle and used pixels instead of the document unit (by specifying pixels instead of the default inches), and then you have overlooked the fact that the default Offset value is also in inches and therefore also should be changed to pixels.

So either you should keep changing the unit to pixels consistently, or as the safer/easier solution change the unit to pixels/points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2024 May 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I corrected the problem by going to File>document setup, and changing the units to pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Richard.

The Offset Not Working thread lives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not any more.

😉

Sorry Jacob.

There is no need to keep repeating what has already been said.

Locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines