• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Offset Path changing anchor points

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use AI to setup all of our files for making signs. We use it for our CNC, WaterJet, LaserCNC, Channel Letter Notcher/Bender, everything. 

Lately when I use the Offset Path function, it's moving my anchor points all over the place and our machines are faulting out and not reading the program correctly. I've increased the miter limit, I've even tried using Round on rounded letters, and it's doing the same thing on everything. 

I thought this was a 2023 issue, but I jumped on old machines with 2021 and 2022 and it's doing the same thing now and I've tried it from multiple files from different designers. Has anyone had any issues like this?image000000.jpg

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Zack,

I believe the conclusion is that it has been an issue is with your sign equipment rather than with AI: AI inherently uses Beziers, and as I (mis)understand it, they must be converted by the sign equipment.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that bottom point consist of two overlapping anchors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bottom "corners" were clipped off for the letters to sit ontop of a flat surface. But I'm able to clean that up no problem. It's the points it randomly adds as it goes around that I can't clean up without drastically changing the shape. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zack,

What is the difference between the top and bottom sets of paths in the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The nodes. Our machine reads it's bends off of the nodes and this has added them in places they shouldn't be and it's not compatable with our equipment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zack,

It seems that the issue is with your sign equipment rather than with AI.

Has the issue appeared after your making an AI upgrade, and does it still work with older AI files, in other words, is the software for your machines compatible with the newest?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload a sample file for us to test?

SHould contain before and after and also the values you are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Zack28082381d5po 

No problem with my own testfile.

pixxxelschubser_0-1674588023100.png

Do you have a sample file to test with a precise description of all the steps you take?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it's the way the design team sent the file down to me. Seems to be beziers instead of arcs. What I had them do is recreate everything and send it back down and it is working fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zack,

I believe the conclusion is that it has been an issue is with your sign equipment rather than with AI: AI inherently uses Beziers, and as I (mis)understand it, they must be converted by the sign equipment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what you're saying, but it's not the equipment. I have never had AI change the location of the nodes/anchor points when using the offset path function. I brought in older files that ran perfectly in the past, ran the same functions, and had the exact same issues. Beziers or Arcs, it shouldn't go from 4 symetrical nodes on a shape, to 7 or 8 nodes in random spots. It never did that until the 2023 update.

We've tried creating letters from scratch as well as outlining fonts and it's doing the same thing still.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please make a screenrecording so that we can see your process.

Please don't use your phone for the recording, but the tools built into your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines