• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

one swatch library updated for all

Contributor ,
Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 5-6 .ai files that i work with for a project. When i add  new colors in one of the .ai files the other are not updated with that color. I want those files to share the same Swatch Library when it is updated in one .ai file. Is it possible to have all .ai files using the same swatch library without making manual updating? Might that be the use of Swatch Exchange files?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019
  • From the Swatches panel, add a color group to the currently active Creative Cloud Library by clicking the color group’s folder, then clicking the cloud/arrow icon at the bottom of the Swatches panel. TIP: Open the CC Libraries panel (Window > Libraries) and select a library first to make it active.
  • To save an entire swatch library as an AI file, choose Save Swatch Library as AI from the Swatches panel menu.
  • Choose Save as ASE to save the swatches in a file format that can be imported into other Ad

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

genik  schrieb

changing the library in one document will update the rest documents that share the same swatch library without me doing it manually  😉

That's not possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could Libraries do the job?

Adobe Creative Cloud Libraries

They can hold a wide range of assets including colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you asking me if they can do the job? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm saying they can do this. The question is, is it suitable for your workflow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 5 .ai files and i want every swatch library update that i make in one file, to be implemented in the other 4 files automatically.

For example, suppose i have 10 colours in A.ai colour library, then i add one more colour (make them 11), is it possible when i open B.ai to find that 1 new colour in the colour library?

I dont like to use the cloud to be honest, is what im asking possible without it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save swatches from Swatches Panel Menu.

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to use and create swatches in Illustrator

Import swatches from another document

You can import all swatches or individual swatches from another document.

• To import all swatches from another document, choose Open Swatch Library > Other Library from the Swatches panel menu. Select the file from which you want to import swatches, and click Open. The imported swatches appear in a swatch library panel (not the Swatches panel).
  • To import individual swatches from another document, copy and paste objects that use the swatches. The imported swatches appear in the Swatches panel.

Note:

If imported swatches for spot colors or global process colors have the same name but different color values as swatches already in the document, a swatch conflict occurs. For spot color conflicts, the color values of the existing swatches are preserved and imported swatches are automatically merged with the existing swatches. For process color conflicts, the Swatch Conflict dialog box appears, and color values for existing swatches are automatically retained. You can choose “Add Swatches” to add the swatches by appending a number to the conflicting swatch names or choose “Merge Swatches” to merge the swatches using the color values of the existing swatches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the difference between an ASE and an AI type of Library?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer is in the link Ares posted: How to use and create swatches in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Monica, iam aware of how to save Swatch libraries and then Load them to diff applications, what im asking is if there is a way so that different documents of Illu can be synced with a specific library, so changing the library in one document will update the rest documents that share the same swatch library without me doing it manually  😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

genik  schrieb

changing the library in one document will update the rest documents that share the same swatch library without me doing it manually  😉

That's not possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• From the Swatches panel, add a color group to the currently active Creative Cloud Library by clicking the color group’s folder, then clicking the cloud/arrow icon at the bottom of the Swatches panel. TIP: Open the CC Libraries panel (Window > Libraries) and select a library first to make it active.
  • To save an entire swatch library as an AI file, choose Save Swatch Library as AI from the Swatches panel menu.
  • Choose Save as ASE to save the swatches in a file format that can be imported into other Adobe apps, such as Photoshop or InDesign.
  • Unlike exporting ASE files from InDesign, you can’t pick and choose which colors are saved; every color in the Swatches panel is included.
  • You can’t save colors with gradients, patterns, or tints to an ASE file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much ares, your reply makes me clear. Previously i'm stuck with saving gradient in swatches as .ase. No gradient there. but saving swatches as .ai (not .ase) solved my problem.

-Office : Adobe || Home : Resolve-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines