• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opacity mask problems in latest 2021 version

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an issue with editing opacity masks in the latest version of Illustrator 2021. There is a serious lag and the effects of editing only show up when you click out of the opacity mask editor and go back into your normal mode of working. It's really annoying and causes many errors and time wasting.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021
Community Expert , Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Please upload a test file.

Have you already tried resetting your preferences (this will erase your settings)?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience, there have been problems editing Opacity Masks since, well, forever. So much so, I do not use Opacity Masks, ever!

As Ton suggests, vote so the issues get fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you serious ? Yhis one of the function I certainly use the most in Illustrator ? Since when did you use Illustrator ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely serious. 

Try editing your Opacity Mask. Do it a couple of times and it will could stop working.

By the way, I've been using Illustrator since 1988.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also been an Adobe Certified Expert in Illustrator since since Illustrator 9 (two versions before Creative Suite).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once upon a time, opacity masks used to be the *only* reliable way to colourise greyscale (raster) images with spot colours in Illustrator.

So, at least now we know that Jeff never used that capability 20 years ago. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in Illustrator 2013 (27.1.1). Opacity masks no longer function at all. Period. I have always used it in the past, but now the gradient or other mask you select will NOT paste into the mask area in the transparency panel. When you try to paste in the mask area it goes from solid black to solid white no matter what you are trying to past in it, and the image or art you are trying to mask still remains invisible until you release the mask. Adobe, maybe for one update you could try to fix ALL of the issues rather than add more bells and whistles. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please upload a test file.

Have you already tried resetting your preferences (this will erase your settings)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just trashed my prefs and restated Illustrator. It's working now! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant Illustrator 2023.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines