• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening and editing a multi page PDF in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i have a problem: When i want to edit multi-page PDF´s in Illustrator, i got asked to choose a page. So far so good. I can choose and edit the PDF regulary. But when i open the complete File (Select "all pages") the file is suddenly not interactive anymore and can not be edited. 

Somebody got a solution for this?

Best regards

Kevin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

When you import all pages you are basically creating a new document and placing all the pages of the PDF in it. They are linked. In order to be able to edit them you need to embed them.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Please read the documentation. https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/importing-pdf-files.html

When you imported all the pages into the document and you want to edit one page, you first have to select that page and embed it. Turn on the control panel and there is the embed button.

You are not opening the PDF. You are importing it. That's a huge difference. Illustrator is not a general purpose PDF editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to the Illustrator forum from Get Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i have a problem: When i want to edit multi-page PDF´s in Illustrator, i got asked to choose a page. So far so good. I can choose and edit the PDF regulary. But when i open the complete File (Select "all pages") the file is suddenly not interactive anymore and can not be edited. 

Somebody got a solution for this?

Best regards

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with Illustrator. This is unusual, I would request if you can share a few more details like:

• The exact version of Illustrator and the Operating System.
  • Is this happening on a specific file? If yes, in which application the file was originally created?
  • Where are the files saved, locally or on any network or shared drive?
  • If I get it, you are able to edit individual pages of a multipage PDF however unable to edit the same file when you select the range "All Pages"?

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh,

thanks for the reply. It is Illustartor 2020 24.0 running on macOS Catalina 10.15.1

No, actually this problem is occuring quite a while now on diffrent PDF files. Files from different origins.

The file itself is a local one.

Yes, i am able to edit the single Page of a multi PDF file (One thing i should also mention: when i am asked to select a page of the file, regardless of which page i select only Page 1 will open in illustrator). And if i select "all pages" its like i embedded a, lets say, PNG. Not editable.

I tried to embed the file by placing the file via drag and drop and via the menu but that doesnt work as well.

Best regards

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
  1. Open PDF (All Pages)
  2. Select All Pages (Ctrl+A)
  3. Object > Flatten Transperancy > Click Ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you import all pages you are basically creating a new document and placing all the pages of the PDF in it. They are linked. In order to be able to edit them you need to embed them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the reply. I tried that acutally via the "place it" option but that seems to doesnt work aswell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read the documentation. https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/importing-pdf-files.html

When you imported all the pages into the document and you want to edit one page, you first have to select that page and embed it. Turn on the control panel and there is the embed button.

You are not opening the PDF. You are importing it. That's a huge difference. Illustrator is not a general purpose PDF editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is NOT a general PDF editor. For files it does manage to edit, it works only with the visible layer, not interactivity. Expect to lose it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines