• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Outline View Not Working

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I heavily rely on using the view > outline mode in illustrator. As of today I can not toggle on and off view outline (cmd y). I've tried switching from gpu to cpu back and forth with no luck. I read a answer somewhere that it may have something to do with a nvidia driver however, I have a AMD graphics card. I've also reset my preferences file for ai.

Software: Illustrator CC 2018

Graphics card: AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

If anyone has a clue as to how I can resolve this, it'd be much appreciated. Thank you!

-Kasey

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Thanks Barbara this helped me find out the answer! I feel like a complete idiot haha. I had mistakenly set my layer as a 'reference' layer however was not under the impression I did so because, usually setting a reference layer lowers the opacity of the layer.

Answer: Make sure that the layer is not set to reference. Now my cmd+y / outline view works! Thank you everyone for all of your speedy solutions, I appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could still have something to do with the Graphics card even thought it's not nvidia.

Have you tried resetting preferences? How to set preferences in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have reset my preferences. Thanks for the recommendation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the CC Cleaner tool?

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

If resetting preferences and using the cleaner tool don't fix the problem it's quite likely the graphics card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Barbara, I've downloaded the CC cleaner, cleaned everything up, reinstalled the software. Still no luck. I went on the AMD website and it wouldn't give me a driver, it said to update your OS. I just don't get how it was working and then magically stopped? Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you see when you choose Outline view, is it just blank?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My content stays displayed as if I'm in the regular preview mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are any of your layers in outline view?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barbara this helped me find out the answer! I feel like a complete idiot haha. I had mistakenly set my layer as a 'reference' layer however was not under the impression I did so because, usually setting a reference layer lowers the opacity of the layer.

Answer: Make sure that the layer is not set to reference. Now my cmd+y / outline view works! Thank you everyone for all of your speedy solutions, I appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad that my question led you to the answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I check if the layer is set to reference? I have the same issue, when I close Illustrator the outline view shows up but only when i close the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reference = template layer?

It has a different visibility icon in the Layers panel. Looks like a TV set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thats exactly my problem. did u find how to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@mahsa31893045os8k  schrieb:

thats exactly my problem. did u find how to fix this?

This topic is 5 years old. Can you please describe your problem? Is it just the shortcut that is not working or is the outline view in general not working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Mac OS is this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the rocket icon in the Control panel. Are you able to turn off the GPU in Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I see that you've already tried that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I'm looking for some other solution I guess for the same problem as in this topic. 

The outline view doesnt work. 

I had to reinstal windows from windows 8 to 10, after that, reinstal all the software again. 

And after this reinstalation the outline view does not work. I've tried what other people are posting on other topics. 

The nividia gforce is updated. While GPU is turned off the outline view doen't work either.

You were writing about that it might be an issue of setting some layers as reference layer?

Could you tell me how to check this? (I cant find it, never used it).

Will be gratefull for any advice..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the name of the layer appears to be italic, then the layer is set as a template layer. Layers set this way do not appear in outline because they are used a reference even when the rest of the document shows in outline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer. 

Ok, so it's not that. 

The layers are not italic. 

But I think the overprint and pixel view dont work eighter. 

When I change the view to any other than GPU preview, the zoom does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently facing this issue. For some reason, my Outline view isn't working. It was working fine till yesterday. Could you please help me out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines