• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Outlining makes text fonts thicker. Please help!

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, when I review the printout, the outlined version of the text is thicker than the live text version. I did some research, and people were saying it's because the text loses its hinting information when its outlined.

Is there any possible way to look as the same after outlining?

Thank you.

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide a "before & after" screen image? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KakaoTalk_20191121_165323387.png

Alright, so as you could see above image, the below texts are slightly thicker than the above one.

And it is more obvious on the printed paper. It really bothers me.

I tried to reboot the computer and reinstall the Illustrator but the same thing happens.

I understand it's some kind of 'hinting information' problem, but nobody actually had the answer to it.

Hopefully, I could get some answers out. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hinting is used to avoid the thickening of type on low resolution devices like printers and screens.

If you remove the hinting, you will get the thickening.

Is there a reason to outline the text?

If you save as PDF there is no need for outlines, the fonts will be embedded and keep their hinting information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification

As you're saying, there's no reason I need to outline the text if I save as PDF.

But then the problem is it's noticeable only on my computer.

I tried to outline the text on the other computer (the same file transferred), the thickening problem won't occur.

I just wanna know what is the difference because it really hasn't happened to me so far.

Once again, thank you for your concern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Outlining does this. Yes, it is because of the loss of hinting. No, you cannot escape this. But, WHY would you do this? There is almost no reason to ever outline. There is however, a lot of bad advice on the internet from people who think it's a good idea. They are wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some cases where the person, I have to send the file to, wants the file in AI format, and he did not have the appropriate fonts that I have on his computer.

You may say, send him a fonts installer file with it, but some fonts require to purchase the lincense which it's hard for me to share it.

and I also read lots of treads to convert the file to PDF which I know will definitely work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that is a reason to outline (if they want editable graphics, but to lose text editability forever; a strange choice). However, damage to quality is the trade-off and they need to know that. MOSTLY it is obvious on screen and low resolution printers (say 300 dpi). At higher resolutions, hinting is pretty much irrelevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, that was the most honest answer that I have ever gotten on the internet.

And I understand it does look like this on the low-resolution printer.

But the real question is why is it different from the other computer? Like I said above, it looks the same on the screen and the texts get printed normally after outlining on my friend's computer.

That is why it is bothering me right now.

Is this my computer problem?

Thank you for your answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably the monitors have a different resolution.

Probably the printers have a different resolution as well.

But the outlining operation itself should give you the exact same result. What you could do is compare the files. Just copy the outlined text into one file and then lay them on top of each other. Just in case youare woried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the outlining is undetectable on your friend's computer (viewed on the same screen/same printer of course), then I would worry that on your friend's computer the outlining isn't actually happening. It's expected to suffer, that's how I can tell it's happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been struggling with the same problem for years. In some cases, such as a logo, I have to add a thin stroke, outlining the stroke and subtract it from the letters, as a way to compensate. This is obviously neither practical nor ideal. Illustrator should fix this. It's ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hinted text gets slightly more contrast looking thinner especially when smaller.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font_hinting

The difference is so small this is not be an issue but an improvement in most cases. Please provide more detail if you wish help

• What font and size are you using
  • What file format is your final destination
  • A screenshot

Without this detail no one can really assist you, and would be a better usage of our time if you can please provide this. Save for Web removing type or art optimization, or the effect outlineobject can help change the font hinting to what you might be looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines