• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pasting strange characters into Illustrator from a Word file.

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2023 Jul 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't copy/paste special characters such as   ÆŠ  É¨  Sêž‹  kꞌ  into Illustrator from an MS Word file. These are from the Makary Kotoko language. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thx

TOPICS
How-to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 08, 2023 Jul 08, 2023

What, if anything, actually happens when you try to paste these characters? When I copy/paste these characters from your original post, using the default Adobe Illustrator font (Myriad Pro), I get this:

tromboniator_0-1688882900639.png

which tells me that the font does not include all the necessary characters. With the type selected I applied other fonts until I found one that included the necessary glyphs:

tromboniator_0-1688883857643.png

The Makary Kotoko language is not listed in the data for this font, so I'm assuming this language shares glyphs with o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

All four of the above work for me

pixxxelschubser_0-1688906363586.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

On my Mac it is Menlo and Geneva.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2023 Jul 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What, if anything, actually happens when you try to paste these characters? When I copy/paste these characters from your original post, using the default Adobe Illustrator font (Myriad Pro), I get this:

tromboniator_0-1688882900639.png

which tells me that the font does not include all the necessary characters. With the type selected I applied other fonts until I found one that included the necessary glyphs:

tromboniator_0-1688883857643.png

The Makary Kotoko language is not listed in the data for this font, so I'm assuming this language shares glyphs with other languages that are included.

If this does not address your problem, please explain in more detail

Thanks,
Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In which font were the characters formatted in Word?

What happens if you try the MS standard fonts in Illustrator, e.g. Arial, Times New Roman, Tahoma, Segoe UI ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All four of the above work for me

pixxxelschubser_0-1688906363586.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my Mac it is Menlo and Geneva.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Peter. I changed fonts in Illustrator and bingo - it worked. Thanks very much.

Ed Gaglardi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines