Exit

Pattern Problem in Illustrator

Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create a new Pattern with this:

Screenshot_1.png

I have a thin green rectangle and a rectangle with no fill. Both have no stroke. I want to create a pattern with it and it works just as I want. When I go to Object/Pattern/Make it makes a normal, horizontal pattern.

Screenshot_2.png

Now I want to create another pattern, but inverted colors, So the no fill rectangle is green and the green rectangle gets no fill.

Screenshot_3.png

When I go to Object/Pattern/Make it creates a different Pattern, horizontally, and I dont know why or how to change that. Can someone help, I appreciate it.

Screenshot_4.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

I think I solved it. I adjusted the width and height until there was no space left between the lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand the question. Please explain what you want the pattern to look like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chck the options for your pattern as the height is not equal. Sometimes it is better to start from scratch and make sure you have everything selected and the same values if you want them to lock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you select both rectangles -- the green one and the no fill one before choosing to make a pattern?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You actually don't even need a no fill rectangle. You can have just the green rectangle. In the Pattern Options panel, increase the height.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot_5.png

Again the same problem why is this happening. I made a pattern without the empty rectangle. Why are small boxes made instead of a continous Pattern of diagonal lines?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please upload an AI file that contains your base objects?

There might be invisible objects that create that span.

Use Dropbox or Creative Cloud or the like for your file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I solved it. I adjusted the width and height until there was no space left between the lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That solved the spacing. But there still must be an object in your pattern that caused the spacing to appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes it is strange but when I adjust the width and height it works, perhaps I will figure it out somehow what causes it to happen thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The height differs in both patterns in the Pattern Maker.

As Barbara said, you don't need the empty rectangle.

Something else, to avoid faint light lines, make sure that the width an height values in your pattern don't contain fractions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines