Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Patterns not saving properly

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2024 Jul 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community!

When trying to save a pattern in Illustrator and going to use it from the Swatches > User Defined section, they either show empty or they show plain colors.

Method I use to save: Open the .ai pattern in Illustrator > Swatches > Save Swatches .

Screenshot 2024-07-25 at 10.00.01.png

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I tried a couple of patterns and it worked, but after that no pattern that I save using the same method is saving properly.

Could you please help?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without knowing exactly what steps you took to create your patterns it is hard to see what the error might have been. I would suggest trying again following the steps outlined here: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/create-edit-patterns.html. If you don't find the solution following the method provided then please provide full details of your process along with the exact version of Illustrator and operating system that you are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded it from Adobe Stock in .ai format. After the download, it opened directly in Illustrator and then I did this: Swatches > Save Swatches > selected the Swatches folder.

This is another example:

BenjaminDavi38804734pp6u_0-1721937974732.png

And when selecting the pattern the swatch window on the right does not show the pattern, it shows plain colors and a random pattern. If I proceed to save it as mentioned above, it either saves it blank or saves what you can see in the window here, that has nothing to do with the actual pattern. I am quite confused.

I am using Illustrator 2024 on a mac Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71).

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there are no swatches in the panel, then you cannot save them. So you should definitely read the link Bill posted about how to create a pattern swatch.

Did you create these patterns or did you download them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded it from Adobe Stock in .ai format. After the download, it opened directly in Illustrator and then I did this: Swatches > Save Swatches > selected the Swatches folder.

This is another example:

BenjaminDavi38804734pp6u_0-1721937974732.png

And when selecting the pattern the swatch window on the right does not show the pattern, it shows plain colors and a random pattern. If I proceed to save it as mentioned above, it either saves it blank or saves what you can see in the window here, that has nothing to do with the actual pattern. I am quite confused.

I am using Illustrator 2024 on a mac Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71).

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is a real pattern, you could try the following.

With the object that is filled with the pattern selected, click the + button in the Swatches panel.

Name the pattern and it should be added to the swatches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2024 Jul 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, nothing seems to be working.

The "pattern" saved is the 4th box and it is just white.

BenjaminDavi38804734pp6u_0-1722163932593.png

It seems blank when I save it like this.

BenjaminDavi38804734pp6u_1-1722164052281.png

And the problem happens with all patterns, not just this one. I tried downloading a bunch and all have the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share an example Illustrator file?

Save as .pdf to be able to attach it to a post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here goes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That one is a JPEG.

But the other one maybe not. Can you please select it and then open Window > Layers (click on the spyglass at the bottom) and Window > Appearance and show what's there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is another one:

BenjaminDavi38804734pp6u_0-1722174402288.png

It is originally .svg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That one just contains the artwork. You first need to make a pattern from it. It has 4 repeats on the artboard, you only want to use one of them. Use Object > Pattern > Make.

But beware! It is very complex. 700000 points. That is pretty detailed for a pattern. Most of the detail will probably not be visible when used in small scale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was the issue, I was not making the pattern properly from the original file. Many, many thanks for sticking with me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

I'm glad you could solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear you solved it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines