• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF formatting text incorrectly from AI file

Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, When saving my Illustrator file as a PDF, some of the letters appear to be distorted. I have attached an example of the error, notice the double l in 'sell'

It's only on key letters, is there a fix to this?

Update: I have attached my preference settings from Acrobat, if this helps.

Thanks

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

See if it helps to do this:

tromboniator_0-1649330816377.png

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

"is there a way of saving the preferences on the doc"

No. This is a viewer-related issue. It has to be set by the end user.

It's also an Acrobat-specific issue with the "Enhanced Thin Lines" option. Other viewers are not affected by it. It also doesn't affect print quality.

The issue is how the PDF file format handles simple rectangles in compressing the file.

When you convert a font to outline, sanserif letters like a lower-case "L" or capital "I", become simple rectangles. Simple rectangles ca

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks good when I open it in Acrobat. But the example you give is not a font anymore but outlined.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if it helps to do this:

tromboniator_0-1649330816377.png

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this has worked, thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, So I have fixed the problem for me, however this is a document that will be downloaded by other people, is there a way of saving the preferences on the doc, meaning by default that the enhance thin lines box is unticked when people open it?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"is there a way of saving the preferences on the doc"

No. This is a viewer-related issue. It has to be set by the end user.

It's also an Acrobat-specific issue with the "Enhanced Thin Lines" option. Other viewers are not affected by it. It also doesn't affect print quality.

The issue is how the PDF file format handles simple rectangles in compressing the file.

When you convert a font to outline, sanserif letters like a lower-case "L" or capital "I", become simple rectangles. Simple rectangles can be compressed in a way that makes them actually behave, in a way, like strokes. This saves coding space, making the file smaller. Acrobat's viewer sees them as strokes, and hence the "Enhance Thin Lines" option can affect them... potentially making these "strokes" a bit bolder compared to other letters beside them, depending on the viewing percentage. Turning off the "Enhanced Thin Lines" eliminates this issue by having everything rendered similarly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Brad, I appreciate your explanation.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way to cheat on this is to add an extra anchor point to the outlined rectangle. Your milage may vary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Brad,

Thanks for clarifying this, very much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines