Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Phyllotaxis spiral challenge 2018

Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled-1.png

Hi! I want to distribute anchor points around a spiral like this.
I tried to do it with a dashed line but the results were not OK.
What I'm trying to duplicate is the graphic below, so the
angle has to be super-precise at 137,5077640 degrees.

2014-02-03 00.03.21.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

I can't begin to figure out an answer to the anchor point distribution question, but I would say that Ray Yorkshire is correct, that this relates directly to the Sunflower problem, which I haven't thought about since that discussion five years ago. I have had an insight today which I missed then, which is that the array only requires the one shape (in this case a rotated square) and three transform effects. This description is for transformation from the outside in.

1. Draw the shape to be replic

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting topic.

Your photo is a little too low resolution to see properly, at least for me.

But I think the last one is addressed  in this forum  thread

Sunflower dot pattern

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://scriptographer.org/scripts/general-scripts/phyllotactic-spirals/

You may need an older version of .ai to run this script or some help from the Illustrator Scripting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't begin to figure out an answer to the anchor point distribution question, but I would say that Ray Yorkshire is correct, that this relates directly to the Sunflower problem, which I haven't thought about since that discussion five years ago. I have had an insight today which I missed then, which is that the array only requires the one shape (in this case a rotated square) and three transform effects. This description is for transformation from the outside in.

1. Draw the shape to be replicated in the array.

2. In the Appearance panel apply the transform effect Move to the Fill (or stroke) of the shape, not to the path, either vertical or horizontal, which value will define the diameter of the array.

3. In the Appearance panel apply to the Path a transform effect including scale values less than 100%, horizontal and vertical values equal; rotation angle, which determines which direction the array sweeps (my term); and the number of instances of the shape there will be along one inward sweep.

4. In the Appearance panel apply to the Path a transform effect of the number of sweeps (from 3) and their incremental rotation, presumably a factor of 360°.
All the variants below, and many more, are formed by changing the angle entered in step 3. Of course, changing any value in any transformation will alter appearance. Requirements of the task, math, and experimentation will determine values. I hope this is of some use to you; it's certainly fun to play with.
Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joakimbl,

For patterns of this nature, the best method, I have found over the many years, is the method Peter tromboniator has suggested .

Effect>Distort and Transform>Transform can give you that appearance of a spiral and motion.

The possibilities are endless.

I see your first attempt was to create an ARCHIMEDES' SPIRAL vector path with a Dash stroke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedean_spiral.

Won’t get you there as you found out and then you wanted to recreate the desire spiral effects below.  

Did you use Inkscape for that ARCHIMEDES' SPIRAL???

EZ- Freebie Inkscape- Spiral Tool with 10 Turns and Divergence of 1.

Only work-a-rounds using Illustrator to create ARCHIMEDES' SPIRALS.

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used this script to make the Archimedean spiral:https://github.com/Shanfan/Illustrator-Scripts-Archive/blob/master/jsx/Archimedean%20Spiral.jsx

I must confess that I have studied the sunflower seed pattern extensively, and the only way to create it correctly is to distribute either objects or anchor points around an Archimedean spiral at 137 degrees.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try any of scrips in the Sunflower thread.

Sunflower dot pattern

I liked this one by fruityth1ng post 47

I experimented with size so no overlap, and used a symbol- easy to resize or  switch in isolation mode.

2018-09-20_21-36-18.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I am looking for, directions for creating a spiral, or other patterns, where the icon stays the same size. Can I do this without coding knowledge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you mean the areoplane  spiral

Post54Sunflower dot pattern

Tells in more detail how to achieve that

If you're happy with the code someone else has written you just need to know how to save it in a text editor  and then run the script in illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey

Thanks so much for posting this response a couple of years ago.

Unfortunately I'm having trouble following your instructions. The terminology you've used for the effects, etc. seem to be different to what I have in my own version of Illustrator CC. 

Is there any way you could post screenshots of your effects panel? It would be GREATLY appreciated. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm mainly having trouble making sense of your first three steps. Partly because the terminology seems different from my Illustrator panels, and partly because I can't quite make sense of the screenshots.

Any input would be very much appreciated at this point.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first 3 steps of what? The answers here are different approaches and unfortunately nobody can figure out who you are replying to.

Please show what you have already accomplished and what you want this to look like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika

Quite right. I wasn't clear.

I was looking for a way to tag Tromboniator in my post but didn't see it. 

I'm referring to the first 3 steps in his/her post. I'm unclear about how this works. 

At this precise moment, this screenshot shows where I've gotten to so far. But it's just been a case of trial and error. And, as you can see, the result is not very good.

Tromboniators post seems like a precise way to do this, if I can figure out their steps.

ThanksCapture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update:

I managed to produce something like this. But again, just trial and error. I don't have the same control over it that I think the Tromboniator's process might give me, if I can figure it out.

Thanks

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines