• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placing vertical lines evenly spaced?

Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2010 Nov 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CS5, I have a rectangle and want to place 2 or 3 vertical lines on the right side of it to divide some icons that will be placed within each of the areas divided by the vertical lines. What is the best way to ensure that the lines are evenly spaced within that area?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select all your vertical lines

Align Palette >> Distribute evenly

Picture 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It didn't seem to work for me. Here is what I am trying to do, I have the two icons on the right side, and I want to divide the space evenly for both icons, though have it set to large enough so it fits the icons.

Thanks!Picture 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't forget that Illustrator can only calculate this based on the dimensions of the bounding box. This hasn't too much to do with the optical alignment the takes into account space that derives from the objects' individual form. If there's lot of white space on one side of an object, it will look as if the space is not evenly distributed although from the math perspective it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2010 Nov 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
  1. Turn on view >>smart Guides (so a checkmark is in front of it)
  2. Turn on view >> snap to point
  3. Zoom in close, so you can watch as your cursor changes in the next step
  4. Select  one of your small vertical lines and  option drag and drop a copy to the right end of the blue gradient
  5. Select the the 3 vertical lines
  6. Click on distribute as in the first example (your 2 small boxes in the gradient are now the same exact width)
  7. Delete the 3rd line I had you create (it was just used as a tool to help the align palette distribute the space evenly)
  8. Center your 2 white icons in the space

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines