Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with exporting pattern tiles in illustrator 2020:

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem withn exporting pattern tiles:

After creating a seamless pattern, I am "exporting as" a png 300 dpi using appropriate artboard & range.

This is what happens....even on patterns that In have successfully exported before.

ANYONE have a suggestion as to whatn In am doing wrong?  Thank you upfront.

Screen Shot 2024-03-22 at 1.34.04 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @birdobject,

Thanks for reaching out. Would you mind sharing some more details, like the exact version of the OS/Illustrator, a link to a sample file you're having trouble with after uploading it to Dropbox/Google Drive/etc., and the exact details of your workflow, including a screen recording of the problem (https://adobe.ly/4ckUbGK), so we can investigate this further?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The export thumbnail looks normal at my end:

DougARoberts_0-1711642673763.png

Does the pattern not export if you click OK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2024 Mar 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing shows up. I get a blank document when I export. I am going to reload illustrator & see if that changes anything. Thank you for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Illustrator 2020, you cannot uninstall/install because that version is no longer supported.

So be careful, you can reset preferences:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check "Use artboards" in the first dialog box.

If you just ignore the missing preview - does that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika, I use artboards, choose range etc. Nothing works. Ignoring preview doesn't get me an exported file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The missing preview could just be an issue with that dialog box - a bug.

So can you just export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did as you suggested...just export but it can't be exported as  a pattern tile then.  I tried exporting a square filled with the pattern but I can't get it at 300dpi...or shold I say I don't know how.

Thank you Monica!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several issues with the 300 ppi export anyway. The most prominent being that the resampling will cause transparent edges along the file.

But if you ignore that and want to export a different size, then you also have the option to just use different pixel dimensions. You can then set the file to another resolution in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your screenshot my best guess is the problem is that the preview is blank.

• What happens when you export do you get a blank file? 
  • What OS & Illustrator versions are you using? 
  • What happens if you choose the art and choose object >> rasterize. 
  • Does it export to other file formats.
  • Have you installed any plugins since the issue started.
  • Does this happen if you create a new file, and just draw a simple shape as a test?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Illustrator 2020 on mac.  I have succesfully exported other files but when I try to export them agin In get the same blank preview. No plugins. I have made patterns from scratch , redone files etc...Always get the same thing. Possibly re install Illustrator? THANK YOU!!Ai problem.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you just ignore that litte preview and click OK, what happens? Do you not get a result?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the same, no preview with export as...

But it does export.

Try to use Export for screens and use Artboards, this has a preview.

Don't forget to click the cogwheel to set the Anti-aliasing method to Art-optimized.

Before you do this, unlock the grey background and nudge it 1 pixel down or you will end up with a light 1 pixel line in the export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export for screens doesn't get me a 300dpi image ... is there a way to change dpi?  Should I load a different version of Illustrator? I have reset my workspace preferences in the 2020 version & that doesn't seem to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export for screens can be configured to 300 ppi.

The thing is that resolution doesn't matter. It's all about pixel dimensions. Resolution is just metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 20.30.16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much... i definitely need to know a lot more about illustrator. You have really helped me ....so big big thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear you could solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines