• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with Stroke thickness

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've been using Illustrator for about a month now (still new to it, obviously), and in the beginning I was having no problems with any of the tools. However, just recently whenever I go to use the any tool that has a stroke on it, the stroke is too thick. Even at 1 pt the stroke is huge, and not the size of what it was when I had first downloaded Illustrator. I'm not sure how to fix this problem, as it also occurs when using the pen tool.

If it makes a difference, I am using Illustrator CC. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled, and I have reset the preferences, neither one helped the situation. If anyone has experienced this and knows how to fix it, please help.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Maybe your new Artboard setting is  really small?

Try

File > New > New Document

and set size to say A4

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe your new Artboard setting is  really small?

Try

File > New > New Document

and set size to say A4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did find that on a larger document size the Stroke wasn't a problem anymore, but for this particular project I'm working on the document has to be 8.5x11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8.5x11 what? pixels? kilometres?

At which percent of zoom are you viewing the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8.5x11 pixels, I am viewing the file at 2400%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

first, naturally if you have a tiny document, a one point stroke will be proportionally much larger than in a larger document.

second, 8.5 pixels? I'm having trouble thinking of a circumstance where you'd need half a pixel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

paitynm87739275  wrote

8.5x11 pixels, I am viewing the file at 2400%.

Theres your answer... at 8.5 X 11 INCHES things will look a bit more normal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as Ray said. It is because the size of your document is too small so ant size will be large. so check your file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am having this same issue but changing the paper size didn't work. Is there another solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am having this same issue but changing the paper size didn't work. Is there another solution?

By @Shelbyr25

So if your strokes are too thick, just make them thinner?

Please describe step by step what's happening and what exactly is wrong about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

generally my stroke at 1 pt would be a normal size but right now, at 1 pt its extremely big, taking up the entire page basically. Im not sure what changed, I have the paper at 11 x 17 inches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show your entire screen with the line selected and the stroke panel visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. What solved it for me was going to Edit>Preferences>Units and setting the stroke unit to Points. I had mine at inches. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're a life saver, thank you. This fixed the issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines