• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with CutContour from illustrator CC2018 .eps to Roland Versaworks

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although having installed the Roland Versawork swatch color CutContour (actually any color with that name would do), making it a top layer .0,25 pt centered stroke on my Mac illustrator CC2018 artwork and then saving it all as an .eps (illustratorCS2 eps). Versaworks (7.1) on my new PC laptop (running the Roland Sp-540V) the "A" will not appear in the menu and Print & Cut is decimated to print only. I've tried tons of different ways and files  but no "CUT" path is detected within either .eps or .pdf files.  I've tried making a top layer with the CutContour path in it. The Swatch CutContour is set to Spot Color 100% cmyk Magenta. I also tried Lab Color in stead of cmyk...but no effect - Do any of You smart thinkers out there have the answer ? - Yours Birger Bromann

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Moved from generic Cloud/Setup forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First: I have absolutly no idea what is going on, but it seams to me, that the ONLY relevant information that needs to be in your file is a spot colour of a specific name and that this triggers the cutting. As a cut has no thickness, even that information is irrelevant.

Now to the problem and my unqualified problem soving advice: save the file to a EPS file with the purest EPS you can get, with no illustrator embedded and the lowest EPS version you can choose of. Try that file.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Birger,

I have no idea how experienced Versawork user are You. So I suggest to look at this webinar - maybe You'll find solution there.

https://youtu.be/b2jK_Y8Bdxo

Regards

Piotr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was kind of what I suspected. The software of the Roland Versawork plotter takes the name of the special spot colour to instruct the cutting contour. The thickness of the line and the actual colour is irrelevant.

As it seams to work fine with PDF and EPS of any Illustrator flavour (well the video is from 2012 so Illustrator may be quite current).

Only requirement is that the stroke colour has that name "CutContour" and that it is a spot colour and not depreciated to a CMYK or similar colour. An I suspect simply that it is not a spot colour in the file - or that there is a typing mistake on the colour's name or that it is not the stroke colour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a similar problem in the past. When you save as .eps make sure you select preset "High Resolution" in Transparency section. In the odd occasion you may have to rasterize all the artwork (except your cutcontour die mark).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The RIP should do the rasterization. Eps does not support transparency!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct the RIP should do the rasterisation however for whatever reason sometimes this step has to be done for the cut contour layer to work. As for EPS not supporting transparency I'm not so sure, why is there the Transparency option there when you save as an .eps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

throbnz  schrieb

why is there the Transparency option there when you save as an .eps?

That is not a transparency option, but a transparency flattening option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Things I've learned the hardway working with CutContour:

Yes the thick of the stroke and the alignment should have nothing to do with the CutContour Alias,

still on Caldera, I had to be sure that the stroke was centered on the path.

Normally any color with the spot attribute turned on and correctly named will do the job.

But there's one culprit here in your issue: eps.

I try not to work with this format anymore, since it's nowadays deprecated...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jkbdks  wrote

But there's one culprit here in your issue: eps.

I try not to work with this format anymore, since it's nowadays deprecated...

As you are right: EPS is not a modern file format and should be replaced by the more convenient PDF file format it is still supported by the system, so it should work.

And then please look at the initial post:

but no "CUT" path is detected within either .eps or .pdf files

I would invite the OP to share one of his files as PDF and EPS with us, so that we can have a look into that. Sharing can be done by posting the file on a cloud service (like CC-space or Dropbox or similar) and posting the public link to the file. The file could be a test file, but OP needs to confirm that it does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey all -

Bought a BN-20.  Using Illustrator for my graphics.  I have downloaded and installed the Roland VersaWorks Swatch from their website.  When I save as either a PDF OR EPS, the file will not load into the queue and says the file is corrupt.  When I load a JPEG file that has ZERO cut/contour lines, the image loads perfectly fine and will print.  This tells me there is an illustrator issue, NOT a printer cutter issue.  Seems like this is the spot to ask for help.  I've had a number of "experts" help with this and nobody seems to have a solution.  All help is welcomed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines