• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

???"File is not readable"???

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2009 Jan 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me and my co-worker have been having this issue recently where we will create a file, save it, come in the next day, and we get an error saying "File is not readable", but if I try to open my file on my co-workers machine, it opens fine. It happens randomly but frequently. It happens when placing Photoshop files in Illustrator. We are currently running CS4 on WinXP machines running SP3. Both machines have 4gigs of RAM. Also, when we try to same some files, we get a message saying "The file may be read only, onother person may have the file open, or the file may be saved in another folder.", and when OK is pressed, Illustrator bombs. Any ideas???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, unfortunately any RAM you add to your machine over 3 Gigs is ignored by Illustrator because Adobe has yet to see fit to provide it's users with a 64 bit native version.  Even though most designers are running with 64bit OS and chips, Adobe updates it's flagship Photoshop and other apps to take advantage of more RAM but not Illustrator...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, unchecking PDF Compatibility can help some, as it reduces RAM needs. Also using links does help, but if you have many linked files, it just dies anyway. It seems a few of us are using Illustrator for page layout, especially when there's only small amounts of text on the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2010 Jun 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems a few of us are using Illustrator for page layout, especially when there's only small amounts of text on the page.

Yes. Over the years I have had this same issue - and one thing I have learned is that Illustrator is NOT the ideal page layout program. Really. It is not. However, many of us will use it for this - so it is important to remember - as stated elsewhere: Use imported images at 100% size - do not enlarge or reduce. If possible use jpgs, not .psd files. Use the correct color mode for all imported objects. Link all imported images. Refrain from using things like drop shadows and effects in illustrator - keep to the minimum - especially on imported images.If you can do them in Photoshop then import image as jpeg, do it that way. Outline fonts if you can. Expand objects. Work in layers, but flatten for output. Delete all non required color swatches.

in other words, use any and all tricks to keep the size of the document to the minimum. Once you get into this habit of doing this for all Illustrator docs it becomes second nature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using it for Packaging Artwork, like everyone else in my industry. There is no other program I can do this in, well apart from Freehand.

I am sure that you tips would help, but I might as well just use Illustrator 8! Illustrator should be able to scale images for crying out loud.

I am still talking with Adobe support (up to about 6 hours in total) getting past from department to department. Not one person will admit there is an issue. They are playing the blame game, my favourites:

Are you on a network? We don't support networks.

Have you uninstalled CS3? You have to do that.

Have you uninstalled CS5? You have to do that.

Have you created a new account? You have to do that.

Did you download the installer from our website? It must be corrupt. Re download the 3.5GB dmg.

I't must be a problem with your internet. Use a disc.

And that is where I am up to. They are now telling me that I need to buy "Gold Support" for further assistants.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe support is pretty good for some things, not so great for others.  Here's the deal with the packaging artwork... I don't know how big the package you're designing is but as DesignRoo mentioned, try to get your PSD/JPG artwork to the exact size you're going to need.  IE: if you're outputting at 300dpi and the image is only 5" on the package, try not to use a 8000px image.   But I still feel your pain. I make mattress/furniture ads and some have a dozen or more linked images on the screen. It's simply a RAM issue and until Adobe lets us use all the RAM our computers have, we're going to have to cut corners etc.

Adobe won't admit there's an issue because, in their mind, there isn't.  We're using Illustrator because it works for us, in our workflow... they've said before (2008 AdobeMAX Conference) that they want to support that... but to honor that commitment they need to give us access to the RAM we have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but I might as well just use Illustrator 8! Illustrator should be able to scale images for crying out loud.

Well, yes, I feel your pain. I do alot of large carton packaging design and it can be a real posterior ache. Yes, all Illustrator versions will 'scale' your image, but remember, it doesn't alter the actual image size of the image - so if you whack in a 10mg image and reduce that to 10% size in Illustrator you haven't actually reduced that 10mg to any less - if you are using 5 or 6 10mg images on a package you are going to need a fair amount of grunt. I generally resize my images to within 20% of final size in Photoshop, and then scale them in illustrator. And I've got a grunty machine.

re the Support desk - I have actually had great help here on the forum... better results than the Support desk who seem to answer every question with another question! Even asking questions I have already answered. But I did get a result in the end so stick with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2010 Sep 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find the same program, I am CS5 now.

The problem happens:

-when there is placed linked .psd files.

-the original file(done by Mac AI) opened by Windows AI.

When I open the file, the error message"the file is not readable" pops up.

This is my solution(in Windows AI):

-Quit AI

-Double click on the problem AI file, let the program start up.

-ignore all linked files.

-then relink all missing files one by one.

-save again in Ai CS5, close it.

-test reopen again.

hope this work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2010 Sep 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in CS5, as well (already posted on that forum) and am having issues with SMALL linked bitmaps. File itself is 8MB, biggest linked bitmap is 9MB. (Total of 3 linked bitmaps). Ignoring links and re-linking 1 by 1 did not work for me.

I'm on a i5 iMac w/ 8GB RAM. I can open larger, more complex files with more links just fine and, in fact, I just edited these files 2 days ago. Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys.

Can you confirm if you have upgraded to version 15.0.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2011 Jan 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this still a problem for people? I'm having the same issue in CS5 with 15.0.1 and 15.0.2.

What workarounds are proving best for people? I'm considering using indesign but it seems more suited to books/magazine layouts - we're using it for museum exhibition design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my perpective this problem has cropped up from CS4, well i deal with many agencies who look like they're hiring people from the art schools who got the lowest score in designing. Well the problem occurs when i have EPS files that exceed the 200mb mark [ in some cases i had file sizes exceeding the 2gb mark, sadly ] and this saps illustrator's ram allocation, which leads to the problem. Well for one thing i guess the team developing illustrator have not really taken into consideration that now that we have moved to 64bit systems we do need illustrator to be able to juggle the ram and memory more effectively. So in finishing i say like me we all have to soldier on, until someone wakes up and sorts out this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2011 Feb 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello people,

I have been experiencing the same problem for a long time and I have discovered a workarround that works for me.

I simply start illustrator as administrator and everything works, for me at least.

I'm using Windows 7 64bit, Illustrator cs5 latest update, C2D 2,5ghz, 2gb ram

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 05, 2011 Mar 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont know if this is the solution ( in fact I read the solution from Adobe but it's so confuse) . Here is mine :

- Deleted the linked file or move it to another folder.

-  Restart Illustrator , open ur file , ignore the box , seperate ur file to smaller document and replace the missing file.

Hope it works for u

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2011 Mar 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm... problem is it might be any one of a dozen images. Good ideas though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 06, 2011 Mar 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ignore the box when it asks u replace . ignore or cancel the link . Choose ignore . Then copy ur artwork to another document with smaller images

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2011 Mar 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its 100% illustrator issues which not yet fix in cs5 may be there team is not capable to fix this issue i think

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2011 Jun 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All!

I've found my self with the same problem, since yesterday and not before! Couldn't open any small tiff RGB or Cmyk, but JPG was allright.

When reading this forum with complicated solutions, suddenly I've remebered one option wich I've changed yesterday, wich is... SCRATCH DISKS options! Yes,

I've changed the S.Disk from Startup to another fisical hardisk wich I have in my Pc. Now I've returned to my original configuration and everything is back to normal again. Hope this could help you all.

Another thing. In Photoshop, when I've done the same, the photoshop wouldn't start. Why? I don't know...

DON'T MESS WITH SCRATCH DISKS 

Adobe CS4, Win 7 64bits, Two hard drives, 4 partitions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2011 Jul 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, just wanted to pile on the discussion.  Breaking links to the files seemed to work as an emergency fix, but this is really a pain.

CS5, Windows 7, plenty o RAM and CPU ....  dealing with some large files for a vehicle wrap, but nothing truly crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2011 Dec 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our issue at work turned out to be the upgrade to the new Pantone Plus library. It causes ALOT of problems. The thing to do is install it but then reinstall the OLD library as the default and have the Plus library somewhere else where you can access it when you need to.

Did I get a raise for solving this problem that no one else in the entire company could solve? No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2011 Dec 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you do that, goldin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 24, 2013 May 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my solution - more a workaround like for win/cs4:

1. close illustrator

2. temporary rename the image folder OR rename your image

3. open illustrator

4. hit "ignore"  missing file paths

5. rename your folder or images to the old name

6. jump back to illustrator

7. now illustrator should automatically check the old file paths and asks you to update - klick yes

now everything should be fine again.

hope this helps

christian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping someone may find this useful, I got this error "File not readable" and the fix for me was really simple: I was running out of space on my hard drive, when I made some room and opened the file no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys and girls,

I had the exact same problem, "The file is not readable."…  Very frustrating and annoying to say the least…

My solution was increasing the size of my scratch disk… The original size of my scratch disk was 4.25 GB, you'd think that was big enough… Apparently it wasn't, I increased it to  7.5 GB.

For now, I don't have any problems opening or working with .AI files…

Hopefully this, will help a few of you out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My WORKING SOLUTION !!

Just clean-up Temp directory on WINDOWS (C:\users\....\AppData\Local\Temp) 64GB fried and problem solved... I do not have any idea how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines