• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"File Not Found" when I double click file to open. Illustrator CC.

New Here ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator states the file is not found whenever I go to open artwork via double clicking the file, however it will open it if I drag it into illustrator as a new tab. This doesn't make any sense to me. Any ideas why it is doing this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Hi Pete,

Illustrator can run into many issues due to the configuration of a network, so saving over one is not recommended if you can avoid it. Does your company have an IT dept? Can you talk to about any possible network issues?

More information can be found here on working over networks with Illustrator: Illustrator support for networks and removable media

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Just thought I would add my discovered fix to this thread in case anyone still has problems. 

After several attempts at workarounds, I discovered that the path to my files were too long. In my case, the creator of the files had buried them in several layers of folders, which ended up preventing Illustrator from moving them. Simply copying or moving the files to new folders in a better place (i.e. the Documents folder), I was able to resolve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Alexandra!

You at least provided a workaround in posting your question!  We were stuck, unable to open files we were seeing directly in Windows Explorer, when opening through Illustrator, or when double clicking on them as linked graphics in InDesign.  All resulted in "File not found" ...even though we were looking right at the file!  Ugh.  Your drag-and-drop method was the first simple workaround we have seen.  The other workaround we found (for embedded .ai files in InDesign) was to have someone else other than the original author relink to the .ai file.  I was determined not to have to involve another human again and your drag-and-drop solution works great for now.  Seems like a huge bug in the Adobe Creative Cloud suite that should be addressed by them sooner rather than later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has Adobe provided a solution for this bug yet? I'm having the same issue. However, the workaround of dragging the file into Illustrator is not working for me and also gives the "File Not Found" error. My files are on a shared drive and others are able to open them with no issue. If I move the files to my desktop I can open them but that is not a viable permanent solution for my work environment. I'm on Windows 7 and have verified I'm updated to the latest version of Illustrator (22.1 64-bit) and Adobe Creative Cloud (4.5.0.331).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it works for your team but not for you, then it might be caused by your network setup.

Are others on the same system? Same network? In the same room?

Is the server also Windows?

Illustrator has issues with networks. for many people it works nonetheless, but there's no guarantee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika, we are all on the same network, same room and identical computers. It's completely a Windows environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pete,

Illustrator can run into many issues due to the configuration of a network, so saving over one is not recommended if you can avoid it. Does your company have an IT dept? Can you talk to about any possible network issues?

More information can be found here on working over networks with Illustrator: Illustrator support for networks and removable media

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just thought I would add my discovered fix to this thread in case anyone still has problems. 

After several attempts at workarounds, I discovered that the path to my files were too long. In my case, the creator of the files had buried them in several layers of folders, which ended up preventing Illustrator from moving them. Simply copying or moving the files to new folders in a better place (i.e. the Documents folder), I was able to resolve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines