• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Run out of application memory"Error

Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, so I use Adobe Illustrator for work. My latest project is creating a newsletter. The piece I created was 23 pages (or artboards) and is 1.3 GB. Now towards the end of the project, Illustrator keeps crashing, and I receive a message on my Mac reading "Your system has run out of application memory." I now realize my mistake of creating such a large file - My computer has 8 GB of RAM, and when the file was open I was using at least 6GB. However, I have a co-worker who has a computer with 32 GB of Ram, so I transported the file on a flash drive, and I was able to open it on his computer. From there, I separated my 1 file into multiple files (two pages at a time) thinking I could still open each piece individually and continue working. However, after this first occurrence with the larger file, Illustrator still crashes and I receive the same error message. I don't have ANY other applications open, and it still crashes. I understand why the 1.3 GB file was too much to run, but most of the smaller, individual files are less than 50 MB. I've never had this happen before. Some of the pages do have pictures and a good bit of effects (drop shadow, wrap text, blur, etc), but others simply have text and a few pictures. And my pictures are linked, not embedded.

I am currently using macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6 and I have a 2011 iMac. My Memory is 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3 and all four of my memory slots are in use at 2GB each.

I understand the error I am getting means I need more memory, but I just don't understand how my smaller Illustrator files are using so much. I've created many smaller pieces and this has never happened before.

Thanks in Advance,

A

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

HI! So I finally got in touch with adobe support - using the live chat! And they got me in touch with an illustrator expert. He took over my computer and found that none of my preferences were saving when changed.

First, he went in and had to basically re-install a part of my illustrator files because they had been corrupted. Then, he went to preferences--> Plug Ins and Scratch Disks-->  Then under your Scratch Disks, change the secondary disk from "none" to Macintosh! Mine has been working every

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same question issue. I've spent all day on the phone with apple support and it doesn't seem to be a memory issue. I'm running high sierra 10.13.16 on a late 2013 iMac with 8 GB RAM.

Any updates on this Adobe!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Gordon+Schuit  schrieb

Any updates on this Adobe!?

95% of users on this forum are not Adobe staff.

If you want help, you will need to describe your file and what exactly is happening.

Also: does this happen after a computer restart with no other apps opened and a freshly created very simple file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have described exactly what is happening with my Illustrator program - no other apps open and brand new file and it still comes up with 'not enough app program memory' and doesn't 'respond'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Which version and system is it?

How much RAM?

Is this a file that you built from a standard document profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI! So I finally got in touch with adobe support - using the live chat! And they got me in touch with an illustrator expert. He took over my computer and found that none of my preferences were saving when changed.

First, he went in and had to basically re-install a part of my illustrator files because they had been corrupted. Then, he went to preferences--> Plug Ins and Scratch Disks-->  Then under your Scratch Disks, change the secondary disk from "none" to Macintosh! Mine has been working every time.

You may not have corrupt files you may just have to change the Scratch Disk settings!

A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines