• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"You must click on a non-compound, non masking path to create text along a path" while using Type

Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey. I've already created a shape in illustrator, then I went to select the type along a path tool and the message "You must click on a non-compound, non masking path to create text along a path" I'm not sure what else I should be clicking on so that I can use the tool. 

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

You said :

Hey. I've already created a shape in illustrator

I said:

Select the path and go: Object Compound Path > Release

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

I found this thread while experiencing this issue. Discovered solution and hope this helps:

It is counterintuitive to me when you are trying to fill a shape with text but ...

rather than in the shape area, click on the path itself 

and you will get what you want – placeholder text inside your shape/path

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that. I'm still receiving the same error message. What step am I missing in this equation? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this thread while experiencing this issue. Discovered solution and hope this helps:

It is counterintuitive to me when you are trying to fill a shape with text but ...

rather than in the shape area, click on the path itself 

and you will get what you want – placeholder text inside your shape/path

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I was having the same issue with a non-compounded, non-masked path. I clicked on the line around the circle and was able to finally use the Type on a Path tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks a lot

that work with me & i solve the problem

i hope the adobe developer wake up little bet  this issue is not logical

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG! That was the answer! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This was driving me crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2024 Feb 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2024 Apr 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you  so much it really helped

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jordan,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to the suggestions given above by Ton & Peter, I'd request checking out this help article to know more about compound path. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found I was clicking the shape with the type area tool, however after trying these suggestions nothing worked even for a simple circle. It was just a case of clicking on the path not overall shape. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone is still having issues, I just figured out why it wasn't working for me. I used the "line" tool rather than the "pen" tool and illustrator will make "lines" or "paths" depending on the respective tool used. This will affect the ability of the "type on path" tool.

I had to select the "pen" tool and click an anchor point on the "line" then make another anchor point somewhere else. I then deleted the new anchor point I just made to revert back to my original design. This will convert your "lines" to "paths".

I'm sure there is a better way to do this but this was a quick fix and it worked for me so hopefully it will help.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone is still having issues, I just figured out why it wasn't working for me. I used the "line" tool rather than the "pen" tool

I had to select the "pen" tool and click an anchor point on the "line" then make another anchor point somewhere else. I then deleted the new anchor point I just made to revert back to my original design. This will convert your "lines" to "paths".

By @esthedik

The text on a path tool as well as the text tool does not care whether the line is a live shape or a path.

Converting them works with Object > Shape > Convert to path

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple fix. When you add the Area Type Tool to the shape you created simply TOUCH the anchor point of the shape and the text will automatically fill in. I promise!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple fix. When you add the Area Type Tool to the shape you created simply TOUCH the anchor point of the shape and the text will automatically fill in. I promise!

By @drotar

This thread is about compound paths. And no, they won't magically fill when touched with the area text tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 18, 2023 Jun 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you helped me because I was getting that error message even when I wasn't on a compound or masked path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video does not really answer the question (which has been answered 4 years ago anyway)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines