• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"You must click on a non-compound, non masking path to create text along a path"

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to create curved text so I clicked the "Type on a Path Tool" as was indicated in every single tutorial on the internet.

JoshuaSchone_0-1668476354536.png

I get the error message "You must click on a non-compound, non masking path to create text along a path."

JoshuaSchone_1-1668476360672.png

There document I am working with is literally blank and there is nothing to deselect. 

JoshuaSchone_2-1668476375590.png

This question has been asked many times in other threads but all of those threads involve an actual project. There is LITERALLY nothing to deselect as this is a new document and I am trying to make a path with the "type along a path tool." 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First draw a line or a simple curve. Then activate the Type on a Path Tool. Move the cursor over the path and click. Either a dummy text appears that you can overwrite or you can simply start writing at the cursor position.

If that works for you

have fun

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You must first draw a path before you can put type on a path. The path can be drawn with the Pen tool or with any of the drawing tools you see in the Tools panel.

Once you have drawn the path,

image.png

Select the Type on a Path tool or the regular Type tool will also work.

Get your cursor very close to the edge of the path and click.

image.png

The default is that Illustrator will add dummy text that you can replace.

image.png

It can be tricky repositioning the text. One of the many tutorials you've seen on the web should have helpful instructions for editing and repositioning the text, and editing the path itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines