• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Your current color settings discard CMYK profiles in linked content" error message

Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2009 Mar 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting the following error message:

"Your current color settings discard CMYK profiles in linked content but profiles were set to be honored when this document was created."

every time I open an Illustrator document. I have no idea how this setting was set and no idea how to turn it off. I am just using the standard N America Prepress color setting in Bridge.

I have tried opening new documents using the supplied Ai CS4 new document profiles, no luck. So I am assuming it's a pref that is set in the app itself, yet I have no idea how to change this setting? I don't even see anything referring to a setting like this.

I found this archived discussion: http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?128@@.59b58d84 which had no resolution. Thought I would throw it out there again and see if anyone has been able to fix this. It drives me insane having to deal with that error every time I open a saved document.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

If you receive files from other people then the only way to get rid of the error is to set up your environment just as they did.

This warning is just a notification that different settings have been used. The setting the warning is reminding you of, concerns how CMYK profiles are handled. Will a profile mismatch cause Illustrator to convert color according to the different profiles? Or will Illustrator keep the numbers and discard the different profile.

In CMYK most of the time you want to k

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Jul 28, 2009 Jul 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just do the following:

menu edit > color settings > color management policies

change the settings to 'convert to working spaces'

unchek the three boxes 'ask blah-blah-blah...'

you`re done.

note that all color profiles wil be substitude by your own profile (standard N America Prepress color setting)

bye.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2009 Aug 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the same error message.  I tried to follow the advice of Unchecking the three "ask..." boxes, and it did not fix the issue.

This has ONLY been an issue since my company upgraded to CS4.

Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2009 Aug 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guys probably are using linked images and therefore the message which is unavoidable unless your profiles match and you probably want them to match, so the way to avoid this would be to sync your color settings in all your Adobe applications and use the same color space for the document and the placed images.

More than likely you have CMYK document with RGB images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2009 Sep 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wade - I hear what you are saying regarding a profile mismatch with linked images, however that is not the issue in my case.  We are getting this error message with files that have NO linked content, as well as those with links.

Also, when it appears with the items that DO have linked images, I have checked and all those images are already in the correct profile.  We made sure to have everyone set the profile we is in Adobe Bridge so as to avoid profile mismatches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2010 Aug 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am ANNOYED by the same error message, too. It's a MAJOR PAIN. Get rid of it, Adobe!

I also get the error with files that have no linked content at all.

And, I have already gone into Bridge and created a custom setting to force conversion of all files to Adobe RGB and SWOP and turned off all 3 warnings and Synchronized across the Suite. Same thing. Always the same message. Even with files I've created completely from scratch after synchronizing settings, meaning they were definitely NOT created under any old color settings that honored CMYK profiles.

This is not 'designed behavior' for Illustrator. It's a bug. And an annoying one because the error message also interrupts SCRIPTING automation.......

Anyone find a solution to completely disabling this error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To disable the alert via scripting you can use the following line:

{

app.userInteractionLevel = UserInteractionLevel.DONTDISPLAYALERTS;

}

Put it in a function with null return and call the fuction where you want to supress any error dialog.

Mind you this would supress all the alert dialogs of the Illustrator App. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reminder about the application level warning function options. But, as you noted, that will turn off all warnings, which in some cases you may not want....

I'm wondering if the CMYK honoring profiles message will go away if I recreate a fresh copy of a blank CMYK user prefs template file?.....anyone try that yet?....don't have time to test right now, but will later...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are wonderful!!!! Thank you!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So your way to fix this is hide warnings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

matias.valo  schrieb

So your way to fix this is hide warnings?

There is nothing to be fixed with the warning.

The only thing that needs fixing is not knowing about color management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad someone asked this. This fix seems to just cover up the problem. I would like to understand exactly what it's seeing and how to fix incoming art or what my workspace management policies should be and why. I can design stuff but I don't understand all the technical coloring stuff that my presses need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you receive files from other people then the only way to get rid of the error is to set up your environment just as they did.

This warning is just a notification that different settings have been used. The setting the warning is reminding you of, concerns how CMYK profiles are handled. Will a profile mismatch cause Illustrator to convert color according to the different profiles? Or will Illustrator keep the numbers and discard the different profile.

In CMYK most of the time you want to keep the numbers, because you don't want 100 K black to be converted into something dirty and you don't want a 100% yellow converted to something that has some percent of dark ink in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But how do I set up my environment? Simply speaking where do I go to change the settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit > Color Settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I signed in just to tell you THANK YOU - you just fixed my problem and saved me so much grief!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 20, 2013 May 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, i am not expert and i dont know if i make something wrong, but i have the same problem with the error alert about the color settings in CS5, and what i did work for me just fine.

menu edit > color settings > color management policies

change the settings to 'convert to working spaces'

Close the program,

I went to Library - Preferences - Adobe illustrator CS5 Settings - en_US and delete the Ai color settings file....i re-open the program and it automatically generate a new ai color setting file and thats it...

I think it can work also for the cs4.

Hope it works for anybody having the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2013 Aug 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

olemexico - thank you so much ... it worked! I'm using CS3 - have been for many years without this issue but just recently it started up.. every single time I open any file no matter how I created it.. linked files or not ' error message 'your current settings honour cmyk profiles in linked content... yadda yadda' - driving me nuts!  but your solution has fixed it.

Not sure if the glitch started from recently trying out creative cloud or a job I've been working on that required using live-trace on RGB jpgs, editing, then saving as CMYK... hmm?

Anyways - thought I'd report it works on CS3 as well - made my day as I have an aweful lot of files to work on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any other options to change this? My settings don't list it the way you've stated.

I have "edit..color settings.. and then nothing that says emulate adobe illustrator"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

meganw39929130 schrieb:

Is there any other options to change this? My settings don't list it the way you've stated.

I have "edit..color settings.. and then nothing that says emulate adobe illustrator"

Exactly what is it that you want to change?

Emulating Illustrator 6 won't solve any problems, it will only create some.

Emulating Illustrator 6 has only made sense in the days of Illustrator 6. And then you didn't need to emulate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hai every one....!

just do the following:

menu edit > color settings > settings > emulate adobe illustrator( 1st option )

I hope every one problem get solve.

Thank you & Happy to help you all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

syed ifthequer schrieb:

Hai every one....!

just do the following:

menu edit > color settings > settings > emulate adobe illustrator( 1st option )

I hope every one problem get solve.

No. Just no. Don't.

Learn about color management instead of pretending to turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Finally!!!! After the most recent CC Illustrator version, (27.7) I kept getting the same error message.  This fixed you. THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For everyone who has searched this annually since early 2000s,  I have chased this for over a decade since Adobe introduced this in some CS4 or CS5 Illustrator version. I have spent many go arounds with Adobe over the years on support getting no resolution until March 2017. After spending two nights debating with tech support while they remotely tested my MacBook Pro they found a resolution that has evaded everyone for many years.

In Adobe Illustrator CC2017 under Edit > Color Settings > Color Management Policies set RGB to Preserve Embedded Profiles and CMYK to Preserve Numbers (Ignore Linked Profiles). Then after experiencing the annoying window once Save As your file to replace the older file and the window will no longer warn you.

So here is the logic according to Adobe Support after I debated them for two nights. We run a high end RIP and color manage everything for proofing for an ad agency and photography studio and have done so since around 2004. We were told how critical color management was then and so therefore Converted and Saved ALL profiles to our Working Profiles of Adobe RGB 1998 and US Sheetfed Coated v2 since they first became an option in software. All other software worked fine and proofs have been precise for years but the "Your current color settings discard CMYK profiles in linked content but profiles were set to be honored when this document was created," warning windows have plagued us for every file opened since these early days of CS Illustrator versions.

When Adobe Support worked on case 0188718247 he saw what was happening and gave several other attempts at solutions only for me top prove it did not work and he saw the Warning Window eventually. On the second night he came back from a long hold and said he thought he found the answer. Contrary to the logic of the English words in what the Warning Window states, "Your current color settings discard CMYK profiles in linked content but profiles were set to be honored when this document was created," Adobe refers to anything that may have changed from the first time the file is saved. Readers assume it was something the reader did that made it say this. It is actually the engineering process Adobe used that when saved creates it.

This is complicated so follow me as best that I understood it. Adobe created Color Profiles as they are engineered for Pantone Colors for Photoshop and Illustrator in differing ways because of transparency with vector differing from the same ways in which bitmaps work in Photoshop. Even if one saves a new file today with new working profiles then the warning will appear since this hidden "Pantone Engineered process" creates a trigger for this endless warning. Although Adobe created this trigger and users/readers of the Warning feel like they created the disruption, it is actually referring to the "HIDDEN" Adobe Pantone Engineering process that makes the warning pop up. Support reset my Color Management Policies for RGB to Preserve Embedded Profiles and CMYK to Preserve Numbers (Ignore Linked Profiles) and then tested. At first the Warning appeared until the files were resaved to overwrite previous files and then the window no longer activates. Does all this make total sense? Not really as I questioned why Adobe keeps allowing a warning window to be triggered by Adobe's own engineering process? This sounds more like a stubborn logistics issue than a software glitch. It makes Users think they messed something up and Adobe seems clueless that this warning existed for many years.

Hopefully this will end the windows. Does it mess with colors? Nope. We still run the same colors as before off every file to our RIP proofing. It's only a word game being played onscreen so if you prefer to end it, these settings so far have appeared to resolve the warning popups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines