• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Raster Image not cropping to clipping mask?

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2024 May 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done this a bunch of times where I make a clipping mask over a rasterized image, then rasterizing it as a whole so it takes up less memory. But for some reason today when I try to rasterize it, it crops to the original dimensions of the image?? Using this photo as an example 

Isabel27030657vvbg_0-1715641827579.png

1. Make a clipping Mask

Isabel27030657vvbg_1-1715641848409.png

2. Rasterized the Masked image

Isabel27030657vvbg_2-1715641863407.png

3. Doesn't crop to the shape of the image? This is now a full raster photo with a massive border that I have to manually crop (has to be cropped for what I'm doing at work)

Any ideas? Couldn't find a way to word this online or find any answers. I've played with all the Rasterize settings too

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 15, 2024 May 15, 2024

Looks like a bug, tried it in the 2023 version and there it only rasterizes the part inside the clipping mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 15, 2024 May 15, 2024

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Looks fixed in beta and prerelease versions

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2024 May 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the crop function not work for that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2024 May 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no I don't believe it works if one of them is a raster img. I tried haha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not Pathfinder Crop -- this:

DougARoberts_0-1715699410651.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh gotcha, yeah its the workaround I've been using. just makes taskes more tedious since I need the crop to be precise by milimeters. and it used to automatically crop to transparency so I'm wondering if it's a bug or not since I didn't change any settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me too! It's completely ignoring the clipmask whenever I'm rasterizing, and I end up having to crop the rastered images to what I need them to be

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh! I wonder if it's a bug if you just started experiencing it as well! Wonder if rolling back a version would fix the problem haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It stopped working for me too after installing the latest update. It worked fine yesterday with the older version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2024 May 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a bug, tried it in the 2023 version and there it only rasterizes the part inside the clipping mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dang alright! At least we have a workaround for the time being. thanks for the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I was also surprised to see this change and rolled back to the previous version, which resolved the issue. Unfortunately, my presets weren't kept which meant I had to import actions and rearrange my workspace, so just warning anyone else that this will happen. Hopefully the next update will revert back to rasterizing to the size of the clipping mask. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty odd. It took about two decades to introduce the right behaviour, but it took only a couple of years or months to reintroduce the wrong behaviour.

However, as far as I can see the temporary workaround in AI 28.5 is to first convert the clipped objects into a static symbol and then use the Object menu > Rasterize command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue too. Please help to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looks fixed in beta and prerelease versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines