Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re-ordering the items on the image trace drop-down menu

Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2024 Jul 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello...

Over the past few months I have created a dozen or so image trace presets. They were added to the drop-down image trace menu in the order created. I would like to re-order them in a more logical fashion. (I will also re-name them for consistency, but I know how to do that.)

Is that possible?

Thanks.

Steve Sander

TOPICS
How-to , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2024 Jul 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello...

Over the past few months I have created a dozen or so image trace presets. They were added to the drop-down image trace menu in the order created. I would like to re-order them in a more logical fashion. (I will also re-name them for consistency, but I know how to do that.)

Is that possible?

Thanks.

Steve Sander

By Lowes Life@SS000

Hello,

To reorder your image trace presets in a more logical fashion, follow these steps:

Open Adobe Illustrator and go to the Image Trace panel.
Click the Image Trace Presets menu (the small arrow next to the presets).
Drag and drop the presets to rearrange them in the desired order.
You can also right-click on a preset to rename it for consistency.

Hope this work for you.
Best Regards,
florence023

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2024 Jul 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, but this does not work for me -- I had tried that before posting. Illustrator just impliments the preset I try to drag or right-click but does not move it.. I'll try it on another computer, in case there is an issue with my mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

trying it on another machine is going to be a waste of time, because it just won't work as per Florence's misleading instruction. By the way, all of Florence Gayhart's posts in the Illustrator forum so far have the suspicious sound of information that is generated by so-called artificial intelligence. Sometimes such information ist just utterly wrong.

However, you can reorder the items, but you will have to edit the Tracing Presets file that is located in the folder where the Adobe Illustrator Prefs file is stored (varies depending on your operating system).

Quit Illustrator, make a backup of the Tracing Presets file and open the original Tracing Presets file (which is a plain text file that may look a bit confusing at first glance). To identify the preset names (collectionName) you have to use a Hexadecimal to ASCII Text converter. Then you can carefully reorder the preset names and settings as desired, save the file and restart Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks...this makes sense...but I cannot find the tracing preset file in Adobe Illustrator 2024/Presets/en_US. There's a Tracing file in the Workspaces directory, but that, clearly, is not it...I opened it in a text editor.

Anywhere else it might be? I can't find the Perfs file is. (I'll look in the app_data/raoming directory meanwhile.)

Thanks.

ss

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

On Windows it is here:

<OSDisk>\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator <version number> Settings\en_US*\x64\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines