• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recoloring artwork

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to recolor artwork. I know how to recolor normal artwork, but I am having an issue with patterns. When I use a pattern from swatches how can I change the background color. For instance if I use a polka dot pattern I know how to change the polka dot color. I want the dots to be white so I change them. The issue becomes that the background is still white. I want to be able to change the color of the background so I can have a pink background and white polka dots. What is the best way to do this? I have seen YouTube videos on overlays, would this work with this particular problem? If so how? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

If you used a dot pattern from the Illustrator Swatch Library there is no background color except the white of the artboard, so you will need to add a fill to the path containing the dots. 

1. Select the path with the applied pattern and go to the Window menu > Appearance to open the Appearance panel.

Recolor pattern background 1.png

2. From the panel flyout menu (three horizontal lines in upper right corner) choose Add New Fill. You should now see two fills in the Appearance panel with the pattern applied,

3. Click on the l

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Swatches panel, drag the pattern you want to hange on to an artboard. Select the rectangle the is behind everything in the pattern; the rectangle will have no fill and no stroke. Make sure that the whole rectangle is selected. Copy it and while it is still selected, choose Edit > Paste in Front. Change the fill olor of the copied rectangle. Select the whole pattern and drag it into the Swatches panel to add it as a new swatch. If you want to replace an existing pattern swatch instead of adding a new one, hold down Alt or Option as you drag the whole pattern on top of the pattern you are replacing in the Swatches panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you used a dot pattern from the Illustrator Swatch Library there is no background color except the white of the artboard, so you will need to add a fill to the path containing the dots. 

1. Select the path with the applied pattern and go to the Window menu > Appearance to open the Appearance panel.

Recolor pattern background 1.png

2. From the panel flyout menu (three horizontal lines in upper right corner) choose Add New Fill. You should now see two fills in the Appearance panel with the pattern applied,

3. Click on the lower of the two fills.

4. Click on the Fill selection icon and choose a color.

Recolor pattern background 2.png

Recolor pattern background 3.png

Peter

Edit: Or do as Barbara says to edit the swatch!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines