Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove background from stock image

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I just bought my first eps from a stock site.

Sadly for me the image came without a transperent background as seen on the preview.

I contacted the suppot of the stock site and they told me I should use Illustator which I've never used before.

After playing around with the diffrent layers of the image I can't get a transparent background.

There should exist the possibility to get it done with image trace, but when I open it I can't select enything. It's all greyed out.

The image looks like this:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-08-30 um 12.43.47.png

The background is not transparent, even when it looks like it. It's just like a jpg.

Opened up in Illustrator when I deselect the diffrent layers it looks like this:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-08-30 um 12.45.52.png

Any advice what I should do?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you want to use the image for? This file uses blending modes that rely on there being a background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want it to use as part of a transparent moving background for my website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's like a layer above the actuall website background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No solutions T.T?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your workflow exactly? What kind of file do you want to end up with?

Can you share a link to the stock image? It might be possible to rework into something you can use if all these objects are homogenous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all here is the link to the stock image:
https://www.shutterstock.com/image-vector/light-flare-special-effect-rays-magic-657799069

My workflow is, that I want to create a background image for my website. For that I need the image to be a .png with transparency. I'm using Photoshop for the background image creation.

On the website itself I haven't found any possibility to remove the background and end up with a .png.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shutterstock offers Illustrator version 10 files. So these are most probably all blends. They have a transparency blend mode applied, so they interact with each other to create that bright light at the top. If you can manage to select all the black elements in all the blends and set them to opacity 0% and a yellow color, then you get transparency inside that file which can be exported as a PNG. But in order to get the effect you want when overlaying the image onto a background, you would still need to have a blend mode applied to this image, which is not possible in a PNG. If you want to overlay that image onto another image in Photoshop, you can apply a blend mode to the layer.

But you could use Illustrator to overlay this artwork onto another image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks alot for your explanations.

Since I've never used Illustrator I haven't figured out yet how to overlay the eps with my background image.

When I just simply copy the bg image into the epc project everything about the light changes and the bg image is huge.

images.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show screenshots of what you are doing.

You need to open the layers panel and make sure your image is at the bottom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tiqm5hdQA5A

Due to stock companies' ancient file requirements, clip arts with glow effects might be a daunting experience. About this channel: My name is Monika Gause and on this channel I'll be showing tipps and tricks on Adobe Illustrator and other graphics applications. For more than 10 years I've been ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies, I hoped it was an Adobe Stock image. I don't have Shutterstock credits, so can't investigate that partcular one.

I found a similar example on Adobe stock:

DougARoberts_0-1661941162221.png

This one is composed of 'rays' that are radial gradients from a colour to black. They use the Screen blending mode so that the black is transparent on whatever background this is placed on (but is of course just black if there is nothing to blend).

If it's always going to be above another object on your website, you could perhaps replicate the blending mode in CSS.

Replace the chequered background with a black rectangle, export as a PNG and set its blending mode to 'screen' in your CSS.

If you wanted it to be more generally useable, you would need to replace the black in the gradient objects with transparency.

DougARoberts_1-1661942156606.png

In this example, I've changed the black to the same colour as the first gradient stop and given it 0% opacity. This would be simple to do if all the objects in your file contained the same gradient, but might not be practical if they don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your detailed guidance.

I've tried Monikas approche and came up with this:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-08-31 um 12.41.13.pngBildschirmfoto 2022-08-31 um 12.41.37.pngBildschirmfoto 2022-08-31 um 12.44.13.pngBildschirmfoto 2022-08-31 um 12.44.23.png

When I deactivate the grey layer nothing is visible anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to put something behind the image. That is how blend modes work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have placed the bg image at the lowest layer of the layer tree so do you mean something different with behind?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

According to the screenshot there is a rectangle beteen your image and the artwork. It might hide your image.

But really I can't see why you don't do that in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No solution for that.

These artworks are meant to work in Illustrator. You can replace the background inside Illustrator, but not anywhere else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines