Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Same name layers suddenly changed, and x5F added

Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've been working on an Illustrator file, which is a map of Europe. Countries are grouped layers, and these countries have a subset of items (sometimes also grouped). The thing is that most subset items can appear in multiple countries, and must have the same name. See below for example. 

All of a sudden, Illustrator not only shows 'x5F' in between items layers, but also adds '_#' after each item layer. However, I need all the layers in their original names. This was working great before, but suddenly changed. Basically, same name layers are suddenly no longer supported and I need it. Otherwhise I have to spend way to much time on changing this manually every time I create the SVG, and developers need this for a web application. 

Example of current problem:

Spain

- Itemgroup

- I_x5F_G1

- Item 

- Item

Portugal

- Itemgroup_2

-  I_x5F_G1_2

- Item_2

- Item_2

Example of previous situation and preferred situation:

Spain

- Itemgroup

- I_G1

- Item 

- Item

Portugal

- Itemgroup

-  I_G1

- Item

- Item

I already changed 'Identify objects by' to 'XML ID' but that didn't change anything. 

Does someone know what to do? I don't know if this is a bug or not, but it seems weird that is suddenly changed without doing an Illustrator upgrade. 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

I agree - I'm trying to populate an svg dynamically with data from an api that uses snake case and it's frustrating that I have to add some ugly code to transform the layer name

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version and system is it?

What is your workflow? You save the file as SVG and then open it and continue working? Or do you even open the file in  a different application and then continue working on it? Which would be a bad idea, since SVG is not suitable for roundtripping in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's version 25.2.3 on MacOS Mojave 10.14.6

The workflow is simple: I create the map in Illustrator as .ai, I save-as it as .svg, and the developer uses the .svg. 

When something need to be adjusted, I open the original .ai file and follow the abovementioned workflow from the beginning. The original file is also the file that previously had layers with the same names. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please upload a sample file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to, but this forum gives me an error each time I try to upload the file.

"The attachment's map.ai content type (application/postscript) does not match its file extension and has been removed."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have a screenshot, but that probably doesn't help at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try: Dropbox, CC file sharing, Google, WeTransfer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a wetransfer link: https://we.tl/t-yQmBPF1kM3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the example you can see what I mean: BE is how it should be (and how it worked), while NL has all kinds of Illustrator generated additions. Most importantly, ELIA_TTN should always be the same name for development purposes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use underscrore in layer names, use dashes.

underscore "_", will be saved as "_x5F_

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem with my SVG.
Anywhere I have an underscore in my layer name "_x5F" is added to the layer name.

"Don't use underscores" is practical advice, but quite dissapointing that Illustrator, the gold standard for creating SVG and web illustrations, would not allow you to create clean svg code with simple layer names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree - I'm trying to populate an svg dynamically with data from an api that uses snake case and it's frustrating that I have to add some ugly code to transform the layer name

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultgw2ma6d8zp4d  schrieb:

Please make a feature request. Because this is a public forum 95% of people aren't even staff. Please post to https://illustrator.uservoice.com 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone is still experiencing this issue, I found that "Export" rather than "Save as" fixed this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2023 Jul 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

'Export' seems to fix the problem in the ID/Layer tag, but introduces the same issue in my Javascript tags (onclick="show('X', 'Y')" becomes onclick="show('X', 'Y')"). The apostrophes in the script come through properly using "Save As" but the unicode problem shows up in the layer tag. Have you experienced anything like this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines