• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scale tool not accurately keeping text proportions and line breaks

Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2018 Aug 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator CC v22, I'm using the scale tool on a text box. While shift+dragging, the text looks correct (just scaled proportionally, without any reflow or stretching), but when releasing the mouse, there is suddenly some text reflow on some of the lines. This destroys some very carefully set line breaks. What I want to happen is to make the text column larger with the line breaks exactly the same.

This is not an issue of just scaling the box, the text itself is also changing size - but not accurately. What's going on?

I get the same behavior when using the transform function and manually setting a scale value. Checking/unchecking the "scale strokes and effects" in the transform dialog doesn't have any effect.

The most frustrating thing is that once I have scaled to a new size (with the broken flow), scaling seems to work just fine - I can use the scale tool to proportionally scale the text with the "wrong" line breaks. It doesn't come up with new text flow each time.

My only workaround at the moment is to convert to paths and then scale, but this is a pain and makes consistency a nightmare when trying to match path text to regular text. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the latest version of Illustrator (22.1)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you scaling Point Type or Area Type?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's area type, justified alignment.

Before scaling:

before.JPG

After scaling:

after.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see (and can replicate that).

Point type does not reflow, but does not work with justified text.

It may sound silly, but why don't you scale first and then set your line breaks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion.

Scaling first and then setting line breaks might work in some cases when the job is smaller, but it would be a huge pain in my case.

I have copied the correctly line-breaked text from another AI file, where everything was very carefully laid out. We have more than 30 columns of text in 3 different languages. Doing this all over again manually would take forever and be extremely tedious. It would also require an additional review round by the native speakers of each language. The convert-to-outlines-then-scale workaround has plenty of its own problems, but is an easier option in this case.  

I'm really annoyed that something SHOULD work, and for some reason, it just doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked with InDesign, but that gives the same result.

I wondered if the composer made a difference, but I could not see a difference.

Maybe the kerning that is build into the font changes with the size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am now suspecting that the font tracking / kerning does not scale properly when resizing. If so, that's really dumb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

I am now suspecting that the font tracking / kerning does not scale properly when resizing. If so, that's really dumb.

Yes, I guess that different kerning is applied by the type engine for larger sizes than for small sizes, which makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be throwing out the tracking settings entirely, since once the resize snaps into the new "wrong" line breaks, you can modify the scaling again from there and it will keep that proportion. So if this is the case, the question to Adobe is: how to keep font tracking values scaling proportionally when resizing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that question/suggestion is better asked here:

Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I've posted the issue there as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've discovered the same issue. Font tracking/kerning does not scale proportionally. I'm using Illustrator 26.1. Any solutions on this yet? It definitely SHOULD work, but cleary it does not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please post bugs & feature requests to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines