Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select Off-Set Path Only

Engaged ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have some text (converted to outlines), that I have added an off-set path to using Object > Path > Offset path.

I now want to select only the offset path so I can change its color.  Is the only way to select the offset paths to go into each individual sub layer for each letter's offset path, and do cmd-click?  This seems a very laborious way of doing it?  I have a few blocks of text I need to do this with and am hoping there is another way?

Example below

pathOffset.png

Many thanks,

Paul.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Common offset paths that are created through the Object menu do not have a unique attribute. They are just plain paths.

Why don't you use live type, add a new fill via Appearance palette, drag the new fill below the Type item, fill it with a different colour and then do the Offset Path through the Effect menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is indeed annoying. A simple solution I use is. When I set Offset, I also set a unique colour to it. A colour that is not used anywhere else in the artwork. Then when I want to select that particular Offset shape, I just use the direct selection tool (A) and then Select > Same > Fill Colour. I change the colour of the Offset shape only when I'm completely done with the artwork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2018 Nov 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

gowdemon,

You may select all the outlined letters, then Ctrl/Cmd+8 to create one Compound Path; Object>Path>Offset Path will then create another Compound Path; you can (Group either/both and) release either/both Compound Paths afterwards (and Group individual sets).

That would correspond to the Effect solution suggested by Kurt only with dead (sorry outlined) letters.

Or you can Group the lot (or just use the Group created by outlining) and have alternating original/offset paths ordered in sets that can be grouped in pairs if desired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines