• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sharp angles with pen and puppet warp?

Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is more two questions in one, but both are for similar reasons.

First off, is there a way to do more sharp angles with the puppet warp? To use an L shape as an example, let's say I want to make it into a 45 degree angle with the puppet warp, how would I setup the pins to do that whilst minimizing curve?

Second is more of a quality of life sort of thing with the pen tool, but if I'm making a path with the pen tool, how would I go about removing the blue-dot-thing so I can make a sharp angle after making a curved path? I usually just place the anchor point, select the covert tool, remove the front dot-thing, and then continue with the path. There's a faster and more convenient way of doing this, right?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

gatlinv51409754  schrieb

Would the pen tool work?

I'm not talking about the brush tool at all, just about brushes.

How to work with brushes in Illustrator

You can assign them to paths drawn with the pen tool as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for the second question, after you click and drag to create a curve just stay in the Pen tool, click again on the just-created point at the end of the curve, then click where you want the next point. The two points will be connected by a straight line segment.

I'll take a look at the first question and get back to you if I find an answer.

Peter

Okay, assuming this is what you're after, just place pins at the extremities and the vertex, move a pin to 45°, then select each  pin and rotate its circle until you get the results you want.

Puppet Warp L.png

You might find you need to add additional pins to fine-tune:

Puppet L cont..png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're on the right track with the puppet warp, but to be more specific, I'm referring to something like this...

Capture.PNG

Basically, if I wanted to make the red shape as identical to the green shape as possible using only the puppet warp tool, what's the best way to approach this and how would I fine tune it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The puppet warp will always make your shapes round.

Is there anything wrong with using a brush?

Or multiple strokes on a path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's more for the quality of life since making arms for my characters is easily the most annoying part

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gatlinv51409754  schrieb

It's more for the quality of life since making arms for my characters is easily the most annoying part

Try out art brushes for arms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would the pen tool work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gatlinv51409754  schrieb

Would the pen tool work?

I'm not talking about the brush tool at all, just about brushes.

How to work with brushes in Illustrator

You can assign them to paths drawn with the pen tool as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, I understand. I'll look into it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pen tool, ..make a sharp angle after  making a curved path?

Click on the anchor, you have just made, to break it ?

or before you release the mouse, hold down Alt (option) and reposition the forward  handle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar question.  In After Effects, the Puppet Tool has something called "starch" that you can add to the mesh to make it less bendy.  Is there something similar in Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

I have a similar question.  In After Effects, the Puppet Tool has something called "starch" that you can add to the mesh to make it less bendy.  Is there something similar in Illustrator?

You might want to explain what it does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It "stiffens" the mesh so that when you move one of the puppet pins, the area in between the pins stays stiffer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

It "stiffens" the mesh so that when you move one of the puppet pins, the area in between the pins stays stiffer.

Illustrator doesn't have this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines