Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shutterstock images and 'transparent' backgrounds. HELP PLEASE

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I've just bought an image from shutterstock which you can find here: https://www.shutterstock.com/image-vector/vector-illustration-magic-wand-isolated-on-461350540?src=n...

The problem I have found is that it's not actually a 'transparent' background. The background is just the grey checkered pattern that is usually the background for photoshop etc. I'm not quite sure if it's me just being an idiot and not figuring out how to get rid of this background layer. I've tried opening it in Illustrator and then deleting the layer but behind the layer, there is a lot of effect layers like black circles etc. which won't look good. It looks to me like they used the background looking layer to hide the effects but I haven't got a clue. Please, could you take a look and help me with this problem.

Thank you!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@debdoris : As mentioned, the EPS format cannot maintain the transparency effects in the file. The .AI format does, of course, so it's a simple matter of opening the EPS in Illustrator and save it out as an .AI file instead (PDF will work too). Delete the checkerboard layer as it's just there to demonstrate the transparency.  You can work with the file in Illustrator, or, you can now place it in an InDesign document. Keep in mind, the transparency effects only work if there's something behind it to interact with, e.g. you can't place it on a blank InDesign page. Also, keep in mind the colorspace of the file. It'll likely be in RGB as purchased (as many Transparency effects only work properly in RGB), so you would need to make sure your InDesign document is set to RGB Transparency space.

Regardless, it's a shame shutterstock doesn't simply provide an .AI file. But, even if they change their policy now, I doubt they have any interest in going back and resaving all the existing ones in .AI or .PDF... they don't have the working files, as any contributors only provide them with what they asked for, which is typically the ancient Illustrator 10 format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines